Author Topic: Climbing Courgette  (Read 1634 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Climbing Courgette
« on: May 05, 2018, 09:33:23 »
Has anyone grown the climing courgette "Shooting Star"?  I have not grown this type beofre and wondering what king of limbing frame is needed.  Nets? Sticks?
 :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Climbing Courgette
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:14:03 »
I am a bit surprised at this hyped up advertising as 'climbing courgette'.  Trailing courgettes/marrows are well known and very old.  To call these 'climbing' seems like money for old rope.  They don't climb, cling to supports or do anything that a trailing courgette or squash would do differently.  You have to tie them up or drape over a support and tie in.   

There is a lot of advice on A4A on growing squash on supports and the same goes for this courgette.  Except that the stems are only 4 ft long.  They need the same strong supports, but shorter.  A sturdy trellis nailed to a wall would do it, but it must be capable of holding the weight.  A picket fence might work too or perhaps an ornamental metal garden obelisk. 

No doubt you can grow them trailing just as well, no need to grow them upright.  I am quite sure that a normal short courgette is easier to grow than this unless you let it trail on the ground.   :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 20:19:11 »
This is what T&M say;

Courgette 'Shooting Star' has an upright, climbing habit that is well suited to growing in smaller gardens against a trellis of fence - tie the stems in regularly to help support the weight of the fruits. Grow them in groups of 3 to improve pollination and maximise your crop. Height: 120cm (47"). Spread: 60cm (24").

So in my opinion they want growing like Melons

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:16:51 »
I'm trying them this year but they have just germinated...

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:01:57 »
Yep, mine too.  Should be interesting to see what they do.  Had some bush type sent me from Lithuania = long white I think.  Love trying new squash and courgette.s.  Hope yours do well.  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 10:06:22 »
Thank you so much for that.  I will certainly give it a go. Its what did with the Japanese squash I grew last season - they did OK, although the family were not impressed with the cooked product - preferring crown prince.  Can't get enough help when trying a new variety - and I am NO expert.  Thanks again :toothy10:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 13:30:26 »
Tried 'Black Hawk' before,also an alleged climbing variety,  it didn't climb or even trail very much, when I tied it to a frame so didn't bother again!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal