Author Topic: New asparagus planted in old asparagus bed?  (Read 1282 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
New asparagus planted in old asparagus bed?
« on: May 02, 2018, 17:35:23 »
My asparagus bed, productive over about 15 years, is doomed, as it is overwhelmed by perennial weeds. My plan is to coax a crop out of it for this season (coming up nicely) and next season, but in late summer to dig out thoroughly one end of the bed so that next spring I can put new 1 year plants into that end. May/June, I will again be able to crop the old plants.

Then gradually extend the new patch, with the idea of never having a season without mature or maturing plants, until I have a clean bed of productive young plants.

Does anyone know if asparagus is like, say, roses, in that new roses never do well in a patch where roses have been removed?

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: New asparagus planted in old asparagus bed?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 21:21:57 »
I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine that soil that has had asparagus growing in it for 15 years would have fewer asparagus specific nutrients than another patch ... it's kind of the same for any perennial.  There's also the chance that any asparagus specific pests will be well estabished in the soil there too.  An established patch can cope with a bit of asparagus beetle, but delicate new young spears could be decimated.

If you have to do it in the same place I'd advise removing the soil and enriching it with loads of good organic matter to replace and build up the depleted soil before planting out.  I've found that growing it on a ridge and adding lots of sand/grit to our loam has improved drainage no-end for the asparagus bed on my plot.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 21:40:40 »
Thanks for your reply. I have not had huge problems with asparagus beetles, though some years are worse than others, and some extensive squishing has been required. I do mean to enrich the soil for the new ones. I just wondered if anyone knew for a fact that old asparagus crowns actively repel new ones. I have looked at  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/planting-in-old-spaces.htm  but it does not mention asparagus.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:50:55 »
Hi Ya,  I think I would err on the side of caution. Having read what squeezy wrote I would set up a complete new bed as it has been there a long time. Having watched what they do on my site when they get new plant they always set up a new site for it. Good luck

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 20:28:49 »
Yes, I think you are both right. No point in spending a year or two watching a long term crop like asparagus failing to thrive. I have made other plans. Thanks.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 01:08:43 »
Good call I reckon.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal