Author Topic: woops - messed up planting plan - need help  (Read 1093 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
woops - messed up planting plan - need help
« on: May 02, 2018, 11:01:56 »
Hi All,

As you might remember i have 4 planters in the garden (vegi trugs 1.8 metres long) i had every intention of doing some sort of rotation on these but not sure what happened last year but its all gone to pot maybe down to to many seedlings. Brain not helping at the moment so i am blaming it !

Advice needed on how to can rectify the situation, year one the planters where filled with fen black with some mushroom compost. Feb this year i have added a bag of multipurpose compost and topsoil to each as it had compacted down quite a bit.

Year 1                                                                   This year so far
Bed 1  Garlic, beetroot, courgette and strawberries                                 Garlic left in place, onion (from seed), carrots, Leeks

Bed 2 Cabbage, shallots, fennel                                                             Fennel left in place, this weekend moved cabbage, b. sprouts and salad crops in

Bed 3 Cabbage, brocolli inc failed carrots                                                Shallots or Onions (lost the label)

Bed 4  Leeks, B Spouts                                                                          Leeks not harvested yet

I want to get back to some sort of plan so can anyone help?? Beans and Peas are going elsewhere so there not included in the rotation. Tomatoes, aubergine, strawberries, chilli and peppers are all going into the greenhouse. All the beds have some primroses at the end to give colour and attract the insects over.

Suggesttions on what else i can put into the beds this year and ideas for next please.

Veg i would like to fit in include pumpkin, squash, courgette, pak choi, PSB, Parsnips, more carrots etc

I have 2 large buckets and am tempted to use these for the pumpkin and squash with sweetcorn and beans for 3 sisters containers (bag of manure and bag of topsoil on top). Anyone tried this???

cam

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: woops - messed up planting plan - need help
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:19:50 »
How about putting a small came wigwams in one and utilising it  for one of the smaller climbing squash such as munchkin? I've never found the three sisters system did well in any setting, they are all greedy feeders so none do as well as they could, but I have grown strawberries and sweetcorn successfully together if the strawberries are earlies.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: woops - messed up planting plan - need help
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 09:10:47 »
Hi

Was considering that for next year maybe.

Cam

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal