General > News

3rds

(1/2) > >>

johhnyco15:
i cant remember what thread  any way a while ago i said that we would be trailing 3rds of plots a 10 rod plot split into 3 with a shed each to rent so over the winter I've been busy getting the plots ready putting up sheds with  the help from the committee as it was my idea i thought id better lead from the front so we had two ten rod plots free next to each other we had no waiting list but i was of the belief  build it they will come
my reasoning was people do not have the time to do a full plot even in retirement what with grandkids holidays bowls golf people are a lot more active and those still in work are working longer hours and travel further for work so leisure time is of a premium after some grumbling and comments under the breath what you gonna grow in a third. whats the point. whos gonna go for that. new  site manger aint got a clue(even though ive been doing it for 5 years) i got my funding and its one in the eye for the stick in the muds as 3 weeks after finishing them they are all let the two full plots had been vacant for 2 seasons we now have 6 couples very happy £15 joining fee so thats £90 in the kitty and £20 per 3rd which includes rent for the shed win win i say

Beersmith:
Good for you!

Our field still has standard ten pole plots but also has a lot of smaller plots, mostly five pole, with a few at two and a half. The five pole plots seem to suit people who are going for that bit extra, because after allowing for a shed, compost box, a rhubarb, a bit of soft fruit, say a blackcurrant and a gooseberry, and perhaps a few strawberries the remaining area usable for vegetables will be quite modest.  You might find after a couple of seasons a few of your "thirders" may want just a bit more.

But that is nitpicking.

A great idea and good that it worked out so well.

johhnyco15:

--- Quote from: Beersmith on April 29, 2018, 20:19:35 ---Good for you!

Our field still has standard ten pole plots but also has a lot of smaller plots, mostly five pole, with a few at two and a half. The five pole plots seem to suit people who are going for that bit extra, because after allowing for a shed, compost box, a rhubarb, a bit of soft fruit, say a blackcurrant and a gooseberry, and perhaps a few strawberries the remaining area usable for vegetables will be quite modest.  You might find after a couple of seasons a few of your "thirders" may want just a bit more.

But that is nitpicking.

A great idea and good that it worked out so well.

--- End quote ---
thats the point beersmith once they are hooked they can go on to larger plots again win win and if they dont like it we only have a third to sort out rather than a full plot  no your not nitpicking just common sense you input is always welcome

Digeroo:
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I full 10 rods is quite a large area.  I am sure after a while a few will give up and a few with want more.  We had one guy who had a small plot, and it is amazing what he managed to grow in it.  10 rods is supposed to feed a family of 6, so for two a third should be just right!!

caroline7758:
Well done! Having given up my plot pending a house move, I'm hoping I might be able to get a smaller plot when I move as I won't have time for a big one. It's not just newbies who want smaller plots!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version