Author Topic: 3rds  (Read 2712 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
3rds
« on: April 29, 2018, 19:11:23 »
i cant remember what thread  any way a while ago i said that we would be trailing 3rds of plots a 10 rod plot split into 3 with a shed each to rent so over the winter I've been busy getting the plots ready putting up sheds with  the help from the committee as it was my idea i thought id better lead from the front so we had two ten rod plots free next to each other we had no waiting list but i was of the belief  build it they will come
my reasoning was people do not have the time to do a full plot even in retirement what with grandkids holidays bowls golf people are a lot more active and those still in work are working longer hours and travel further for work so leisure time is of a premium after some grumbling and comments under the breath what you gonna grow in a third. whats the point. whos gonna go for that. new  site manger aint got a clue(even though ive been doing it for 5 years) i got my funding and its one in the eye for the stick in the muds as 3 weeks after finishing them they are all let the two full plots had been vacant for 2 seasons we now have 6 couples very happy £15 joining fee so thats £90 in the kitty and £20 per 3rd which includes rent for the shed win win i say
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: 3rds
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 20:19:35 »
Good for you!

Our field still has standard ten pole plots but also has a lot of smaller plots, mostly five pole, with a few at two and a half. The five pole plots seem to suit people who are going for that bit extra, because after allowing for a shed, compost box, a rhubarb, a bit of soft fruit, say a blackcurrant and a gooseberry, and perhaps a few strawberries the remaining area usable for vegetables will be quite modest.  You might find after a couple of seasons a few of your "thirders" may want just a bit more.

But that is nitpicking.

A great idea and good that it worked out so well.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 20:49:05 »
Good for you!

Our field still has standard ten pole plots but also has a lot of smaller plots, mostly five pole, with a few at two and a half. The five pole plots seem to suit people who are going for that bit extra, because after allowing for a shed, compost box, a rhubarb, a bit of soft fruit, say a blackcurrant and a gooseberry, and perhaps a few strawberries the remaining area usable for vegetables will be quite modest.  You might find after a couple of seasons a few of your "thirders" may want just a bit more.

But that is nitpicking.

A great idea and good that it worked out so well.
thats the point beersmith once they are hooked they can go on to larger plots again win win and if they dont like it we only have a third to sort out rather than a full plot  no your not nitpicking just common sense you input is always welcome
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 02:23:10 »
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I full 10 rods is quite a large area.  I am sure after a while a few will give up and a few with want more.  We had one guy who had a small plot, and it is amazing what he managed to grow in it.  10 rods is supposed to feed a family of 6, so for two a third should be just right!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:18:56 »
Well done! Having given up my plot pending a house move, I'm hoping I might be able to get a smaller plot when I move as I won't have time for a big one. It's not just newbies who want smaller plots!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:27:53 »
To be commended. Some positive thought gives a result to all involved. Well done!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 14:00:15 »
Seems a good idea to me too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal