Author Topic: small children and seeds....... what can go wrong?  (Read 1149 times)

Nora42

• Acre
small children and seeds....... what can go wrong?
« on: April 27, 2018, 17:34:18 »
I spend a lunch time a week gardening with the local school children in their playground raised bed veg garden. we mix potting compost and vermiculite in a large tray which the children then fill the pots into which they plant the seeds. I left three of them with 5 different cucumber seed packets. they were to plant three seeds in each pot. Simples.
we then  filled some flat seeds tray from the tray of compost and planted some Cosmos flower seeds.

imagine my surprise at seeing about 20 or so cucumber seedlings in what should be a tray of cosmos.
At home I checked the seed packets and sure enough there are none left in the Restina pickling cucumber packet, but at least we know where they are.
I am guessing someone accidently dropped the seeds into to compost and didn't say anything about it.

anyone for a gherkin?
Nora :blob7:
Norf London

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: small children and seeds....... what can go wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 19:44:46 »
Even grown ups make mistakes... I bought some "Veg Spaghetti" plants at an allotment sale last year, as my old seed hadn't germinated, but they were festival types when they fruited..

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal