Author Topic: taking shape  (Read 9848 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
taking shape
« on: April 27, 2018, 15:27:44 »
after
the long cold winter my plots are taking shape
how have your plots faired after the winter?
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: taking shape
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 18:25:03 »
We are getting there.  Slow start though but we have made some good progress on my OH's plot which was a bit of a mess.  However now we have got down to the rough end it is riddled with bind weed and couch grass so we have slowed down a bit.
Mine's all clear and ready to go but already lost a row of peas to the slugs - we will see if the parsnips are up this weekend but overwintered onions\garlic looking good.  This weekend looks a bit rubbish for the weather so planting out will wait for a while and there is plenty of potting on to be done.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 13:00:30 »
indeed the weather is awful just returned from the plots  very wet cold and not very nice at all  however my fruit trees seem to like it all in bloom just the odd bumble bee to do the deed

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 06:21:12 »
its another cold gloomy day here on the sunshine coast however im off to the plot bright and early this morning to cut the grass and cut the edges and maybe prepare my sweetcorn bed

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 07:20:01 »
I have two half plots one is doing well.  Soft fruit looking good with loads of flowers but not many bees.  Watch a single bumbly bee yesterday.  Most seem to prefer the dead nettles.  I did not managed to prune the autumn raspberries but they now all have flowers on.  Particularly pleased with one patch, once cut down to the ground it does not do well because it is a rather dry spot.  Good amount of new growth, so I am going to give it some manure. 
Potatoes in a bit late. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 13:06:44 »
well just got back from the plots edging all done 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 13:28:40 »
the other side

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 15:10:28 »
The new greenhouse seems to be well utilised....paying for itself already I would seem!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 15:56:32 »
yes tg the only problem is with more space ive just pricked out more plants now i have 3 greenhouses full of plants rather than 2 lol :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :drunken_smilie:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 16:53:37 »
blackberries have caught up nicely

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 17:23:29 »
I am having a problem with my tomatoes they germinated and I potted them on and took them over to the greenhouse and they have not grown anymore is it possible that it is too hot for them in the greenhouse because I have never had a problem with them before. I am thinking about bringing them back home to see if that works
Barnsley S Yorks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 17:43:33 »
I'm in the same boat Cudsey but I put it down to lack of light in our area.

I have just taken my plants down to the allotment today in the hope that they will develop quicker in the brighter conditions I have in the allotment greenhouse.

My only concern is the possibility of a late frost nipping them....fingers crossed.... will be looking in on Countryfile this evening to see what the weather will be like for the incoming week.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 18:08:38 »
I am having a problem with my tomatoes they germinated and I potted them on and took them over to the greenhouse and they have not grown anymore is it possible that it is too hot for them in the greenhouse because I have never had a problem with them before. I am thinking about bringing them back home to see if that works
it may be temperature fluctuation thats the problem  sky high in the daytime and near freezing at night makes them sulk even here in the sunshine coast upto a week ago i put fleece over the plants at night and debris netting shading up in the middle of the day to keep a more even temperature hope this helps

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 20:21:46 »
Thanks Johhnyco15 and Tee Gee for your comments and I will try the fleece at night and find some netting to keep the heat down so theres still hope for them
Barnsley S Yorks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 15:58:45 »
today added some colour to the long border in front of the greenhouse dahlias and zinnias

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 17:30:12 »
Like the coloured lettuce as well!

What type of Dahlias are they? The reason I ask is they seem to be planted rather close together????

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 23:47:41 »
Like the coloured lettuce as well!

What type of Dahlias are they? The reason I ask is they seem to be planted rather close together????
tg yes they are i thought i would lose a lot this winter as we have had  -13 so i sowed 60 plants pom pom mix however all my plants seem to have survived so ill just have to wait and keep the ones i like

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 09:01:31 »
As a sugggestion you could transplant every other one to the other side of the path ( between the lettuce in the first row)  then as the lettuce is eaten the Dahlias have more space to grow.

If they were true Pom pons then it would not be so critical but what I find is when it says pompons on the packet you often find that they are small and miniature ball types not true pom-pons, meaning they need more growing space as a rule.

When I grew poms I grew them in the least fertile part of the bed to ensure that the flower heads never grew above the regulation diameter of 2".

So now I know you like lots of tomatoes and flowers what with your 150 & 60 plants what else do you grow in ' bulk' ? :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 14:20:05 »
As a sugggestion you could transplant every other one to the other side of the path ( between the lettuce in the first row)  then as the lettuce is eaten the Dahlias have more space to grow.

If they were true Pom pons then it would not be so critical but what I find is when it says pompons on the packet you often find that they are small and miniature ball types not true pom-pons, meaning they need more growing space as a rule.

When I grew poms I grew them in the least fertile part of the bed to ensure that the flower heads never grew above the regulation diameter of 2".

So now I know you like lots of tomatoes and flowers what with your 150 & 60 plants what else do you grow in ' bulk' ? :sunny:
most things 120 sweetcorn 50 cabbage 16 courgettes  50 sweet peppers 50 chilli 12 cucumbers indoor 10 cucumbers outdoor 40 butternut the list goes on and on

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 14:36:22 »
most things 120 sweetcorn 50 cabbage 16 courgettes  50 sweet peppers 50 chilli 12 cucumbers indoor 10 cucumbers outdoor 40 butternut the list goes on and on

Are you feeding the whole of the 'sunshine coast' ? :glasses9:

Speaking of Sweet corn...I'm having problems this year with my sweetcorn I usually sow around 40 to ensure I get the 25 or so I need. This year I have sown three batches and got about 10 plants, so I have now sown some more....fingers crossed!

As you will know I have given up a plot this year so I am doing a lot of planning, although juggling might be a better term with the number of plants I am growing. I still want to grow the same variety of veg but just a few less of each of  them hence the juggling.

Basically what I am doing is adding a plant extra to each row to compensate for the reduced number I am growing. For example I have always grown 4 brassicas across a bed this year I am trying 5. Similarly things that would be 5 across are now 6 and so on!

It will be interesting to see if it all works out as planned (juggled)

Planted out my Chrysants (48) yesterday morning and 60 Gladioli this morning plus weeded my garlic as you can see in the attached picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal