Author Topic: Can anyone identify this cactus-type succulent please  (Read 1829 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Can anyone identify this cactus-type succulent please
« on: April 24, 2018, 21:36:52 »
I bought this beauty at a car boot sale last summer when it was quite small. Since then it has grown tall and produced babies along its 'leaves' that root quite readily. As you can see, the amazing part is the beautiful multi-flower head, which appeared about a month ago in yellow, which  - as it faded - produced a lower layer of equally beautiful flowers but this time in a sort of salmon pink.  It seems to be a type of cactus.  I kept it outside during the summer, bringing it into the conservatory in the autumn, where it has remained ever since as it will be too tall and ungainly to put outside. I haven't got a clue what it is, or how to care for it.  Can anyone help please?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Can anyone identify this cactus-type succulent please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 21:54:08 »
It is Bryophyllum daigremontianum. I have them and the main benefit, apart from how ridiculously easy they are to propagate, is the winter flowering. :happy7:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryophyllum_daigremontianum

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0106+1064

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 22:03:44 »
Looking again at your first photo I think it is Bryophyllum delagoense also called chandelier plant or mother of millions. :happy7:

http://www.capetowninvasives.org.za/project/terrestrial/species/bryophyllum-delagoense

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 08:42:03 »
Hi Ya, Very interesting. You say they are easy to propagate, how do you do it? is it like the money tree plant and just use a leaf? it looks very nice and I am tempted to get one.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:43:15 »
Lezelle, the babies grow on the 'leaves', the babies can either be removed or just let them drop off, they will then root all by themselves!

Ed Dibbles, thanks for the most useful replies - very prompt! I think I have the Bryophyllum delagoense. Will the original plant die now that it has flowered? Should I cut the flower off once it has withered?  Would the plant be OK indoors i.e. with less light, or should it remain in the conservatory and then placed outdoors in the summer?  I have got some babies rooted now, how long would it be before they become mature enough to flower?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:59:43 »
Will the original plant die now that it has flowered?

Yes.

Should I cut the flower off once it has withered?

No need the plant will die off.

Would the plant be OK indoors i.e. with less light, or should it remain in the conservatory and then placed outdoors in the summer?

Either although watch for waterlogging if put outside.

I have got some babies rooted now, how long would it be before they become mature enough to flower?

They will flower next winter/spring. It is best to provide no artificial light after the end of September to induce flowering. Very much like Schlumbergera - chrismas cactus. :happy7:

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 11:47:47 »
Such useful information Ed Dibbles, thank you very much.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 13:43:01 »
What a lovely plant.  With all those flowers you must be doing something right.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal