Author Topic: Helleborus seeds  (Read 1630 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
Helleborus seeds
« on: April 24, 2018, 10:02:03 »
 i bought some Hellebore's seeds  and seen in the growing instructions.  The following After sowing seal container in a poly bag and leave  for three months at 20 c then place container  and bag in the fridge for another three months.  return to 20c again as Germination can be slow.I`ve never grown them from seed before,so do I  need to go though all that or is some one here have another method

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Helleborus seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:42:19 »
Tricky aren't they?!
I find neglect and a poor memory works best for Hellebores. I sow fresh seed in trays and put them in a neglected corner for a couple of years, they need cold spells to trigger germination when it warms up. I sowed a tray a couple of years ago from purchased seeds, and have two surviving seedlings, just about ready to be potted on now! I have patience, but TBH I don't think I would bother again.

I expanded my collection by waiting until early summer when the garden centres are getting rid of their stock once its flowered and set seed pods, I got a trolley full for less than £30, and some of the big plants were originally selling for £15 each! Planted them out and they all flowered brilliantly the following year, still going strong.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 13:51:36 »
 That's a good idea and one I will follow

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 15:07:35 »
If you do that and the seeds on them ripen, then sow them fresh from the plant. They germinate the following spring with no trouble at all.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 13:46:47 »
Do hellebores germinate?!! Bought several packets as end of season bargains but never seen anything.  However I  went to a National Trust Garden and they were thousands of self sown seedlings.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 14:09:12 »
I bought 2 plants but have seedlings popping up around them. The seedling flowers are never the same as the parent plant, but most of them are worth keeping, I only throw away the ones with completely green flowers ;)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 15:02:44 »
Dried out seeds almost always fail. They really do need to be sown fresh.
Gardening is the great leveller.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal