Author Topic: Sunshine!!! and potential frost.  (Read 1482 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Sunshine!!! and potential frost.
« on: April 22, 2018, 17:52:38 »
My soft fruit is looking good.  Loads of flowers.  But the lovely sunshine  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: has got them all very excited.  I am really worried we are a long way to go to the last date for frost.  The last two years there have been very hard frosts well into May.  Not sure they will be too happy with a frost while in flower.

The ten day forecast shows several 4s and 5s which could mean a touch of ground frost.  Hopefully the bushes will not be affected though the potatoes might not be too happy. 

Hopefully they are self fertile because there are not many bees around and they are more interested in the white dead nettles.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
Re: Sunshine!!! and potential frost.
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 18:09:24 »
The blossom on my two small apple trees is almost open, I’m sure it is 4 weeks early due to this hot spell.

Gong to be a nerve wracking few weeks.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 19:56:41 »
here on the sunshine coast we are just on our last frost date however its been a cold year so who knows what will come our way my apricot has suffered bad only has about 50 little fruitlets on its normally ten times this amount
strange this year cherry plum  apple pear peaches and gauges all flowering at the same time
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 20:32:38 »
Am I worrying about the frost damaging my potatoes?

Not really!!

They would need to be above ground first!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 15:16:10 »
We are a long way from the sea, our last frost date is normally mid may but we have had the occasional one in June. 

My potatoes not above ground but I expect them in the next three weeks.  The volunteers have put in an appearance.  It was 28 C on two days this week so everything has come on amazingly quickly. 

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 20:55:34 »
My experience is that the potatoes come back from frosts - it takes off the top leaves but these stems grow on and more come up. OK, repeated heavy frosts might finish them off, but I've not had that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal