Produce > Edible Plants

planting out

(1/6) > >>

johhnyco15:
the last two days have been glorious here on the sunshine coast so ive bitten the bullet stopped sitting on my hands and started planting out lettuce, beetroot and directly sowed parsnips and carrots.
im mostly  no dig however i have 4 beds which i do dig then cover and as its dry i used my mantis  it made short work of the beds after i blinded them with leaf mould one for soil structure the other to keep the thousands of cats using them as litter tray

johhnyco15:
williams and concord pears are now in full bloom

johhnyco15:
peas today

johhnyco15:
first of my tomato beds started today 70 plants will go in this bed at 36"spacing all around after  i finished the 2.5 mtr poles i blinded ground with leaf mould to stop weeds and aid water retention

squeezyjohn:
I'm definitely going to cover my no-dig beds next year ... the weeds this year have been a nightmare.  Couldn't do a thing for the snow and wet in March and early April and now BANG - summer temperatures and they are growing so fast I can see them moving!  The weed seedlings must have been growing huge roots under all that snow.  The start to this year is almost (but not quite) as hard work as when I first cleared the land!

That being said - I'm slowly working my way through them and also have first peas, lettuces, beetroots and spinach that were growing in the greenhouse out.  I've also weeded the perennial allium bed and am chuffed at the resilience of Babington's Leek, Egyptian walking onions and Everlasting onions.  They're growing away strongly now.

A lot of work to still do before all those weeds flower and set seed though ... ugh.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version