Author Topic: NOW ON OFFER  (Read 2993 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
NOW ON OFFER
« on: April 13, 2018, 17:17:29 »
MORRISONS have  70 ltr Richmore Multipurpose compost on offer this weekend :
3 x 70 litre bags for £9 .
These are very compressed and weighty!
Doubtlessly green waste based, (no peat!), dark and crumbly, with nutrient added.
It may not be the best but its plenty good enough for bulking out  well rotted horse manure to make a satisfactory medium for starting beans, potting on tomatoes and providing a host of patio tubs for all bedding. Mine will have some sharp sand added.
Much better substance than 'growbags' of my experience.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

picman

• Acre
Re: NOW ON OFFER
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 10:09:59 »
I got some Home Base 'J Arthur Bower"  MP compost , 120 litre , £5  but to be honest it looks like no other compost i have seen before , mainly grey and black shreds ? Think I will use it as a mulch,  guess mistakes have to be learned !

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 21:34:59 »
Wickes are currently doing their multi-purpose compost at £4 a 70L bag on a 4 for the price of 3 offer if you get it before the end of Monday (works out the same price as the Morrisons deal) ... I've used this stuff already this year and it contains no green waste and although I wouldn't use it to sow small seeds, it's pretty good stuff ... fine for bulking out raised beds and I'm doing my potatoes in pots in it (with extra feed in the shape of chicken manure).  It's not peat free unfortunately, but judging by the texture it's fairly low in peat content.

PS - at my local store they said they'd sold out - but if you pay for it on the website using their click and collect service the site is saying they have 500 bags in stock!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 09:04:03 »
Sqeezy J
 Yes, I use Wickes for 'Finer planting', and sieve for finer still. Local store has been at £5.75, 4for3.
Regularly take their "split" bags, at half price or less....
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:32:26 »
Unfortunately Wickes stopped their £4 a bag (£3 a bag if you buy 4) offer yesterday - it's back up to £5.50 a bag.  I managed to get 12 bags off them despite being told it was out of stock ... the guys at the shop told me that they hold back stock allocated for website sales via click and collect and are not allowed to say that it's in stock at the shop even though they have many pallets out back!  I had to go home, order it on the website and go back an hour later to pick it up.

Just a heads up for anyone who, like me, probably had no idea they operate this strange policy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal