Author Topic: Sprouted flowering bulbs found in garage!!  (Read 1823 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Sprouted flowering bulbs found in garage!!
« on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:13 »
So embarrassed but I have found four packets of allium bulbs that have developed three inch green shoots in my garage. Are they worth planting ?

Duke😊😊
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Sprouted flowering bulbs found in garage!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:45:24 »
Better than throwing them away, but they may just rot if they do not have roots. Most ornamental alliums are winter growers.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 11:40:11 »
Plant them in pots so you can see what they do more easily.  If they grow OK then plunge them in the border where you want them to live.    They need to be planted asap to give them a chance and, tho they may not flower this year, they can at least then build up energy for next year.
Obxx - Vendée France

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 16:21:40 »
I don't know if alliums are particularly fussy but I have often salvaged unused bulbs like daffodils and tulips which were not planted at the correct time in the autumn and have planted them in the spring and found them to do ok. These do generally flower as the flower bud is already formed within the bulb, but will come late and if the weather is warm they don't last long. I picked up about 30 daffodils a couple of weeks back and planted them in pots as the soil is too wet here. They seem to be ok. Well worth a try.

Seacarrot

• Quarter Acre
  • Two Greenhouses and a fab new shed.
    • The Cynical Gardener
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 12:32:18 »
Get them planted as quick as, then they’ve got two choices.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal