Author Topic: Goodbye lovely allotment, maybe  (Read 4302 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Goodbye lovely allotment, maybe
« on: April 09, 2018, 21:20:46 »
Just got the allotment bill.  £124.30 which includes being old, and living in lovely Enfield.  Since I have taken the steroids I can walk, but not sure that I can dig, and the weather has been awful.  It is a big decision to give it up, I will do a 'Gone with wind' decision and think about it in the morning.  The cat is OK, the house is better, and OH still wants to move, but maybe I could keep it for another year.  Got some good rhubard the other day, but still have some in the freezer from last year, so gave it to next door neighbour.  Also got some strawberries from Morrisons for 10p, not English obviously but OK.  Big decisions to make tomorrow.  Doctor on Wednesday, so wish me luck.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Goodbye lovely allotment, maybe
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 21:59:19 »
Good luck with the decision and with the doctor.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 07:45:10 »
Take your time, once it's gone it's gone.
And good luck with the Doc.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 07:48:05 »
Hi Ya, Sorry to hear you are thinking of giving up. I know I would be upset to. Have you considered no dig system? It could be the way forward for you. A lot less active I would think. Any way I wish you all the best for Wednesday. I'm with you as I have to have my eyes checked again at the end of the month and I know they want to operate again. Chin up my friend

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:03:54 »
Don't give up the allotment.  Give up digging!

Lots of info on the web about No Dig.  If your problems are arthritic in nature I suggest you also research turmeric/curcuma supplements.  They've helped me no end and many others besides but there are some conditions for which they wouldn't be good so check all the info.
Obxx - Vendée France

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:28:39 »
Hi Ya, followed your recommendation Obelixx and have invested in some tumeric tablets myself as I to suffer with arthritic hips and fingers. The write up on line was good for them aswell. I have tried a few different things so nothing to loose. Thanks

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:42:28 »
Don't give up the allotment.  Give up digging!

Lots of info on the web about No Dig. 

I found that shifting the large quantities of manure/compost recommended by the likes of Charles Dowding was as painful as digging tbh. No-one ever seems to mention that, do they?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 12:48:49 »
We are using no dig as each new bed is made in this new veggie garden.  I have OH as under gardener to do any heavy lifting and we'll just adjust the amounts we shift as backs and muscles permit.   We find it's better to keep moving so we don't seize up.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 18:26:34 »
£124 is quite a lot, can you have half of it. 

Turmeric is a very good stuff.  I buy it from Asian supermarket for £3.26 for a whole kilo.

I am putting in more soft fruit and fruit trees so there is less work.  Luckily we do not have tidy police.   And black plastic.  Courgettes and pumpkins are very good too at keeping the weeds under control.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 16:14:53 »
Well I decided to keep it for another year.  Did some digging and cutting down some long grass.  Got some more rhubard.  Haven't planted any seeds yet, but will look for the charity sales for plants, well I did plant 12 courgette seeds, and the apple tree is doing well.
Did some digging yesterday, but had found it difficult to get out of the chair last night.  Just doing a little at a time. Had some good chats with allotment friends, some a happy bunny.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 16:43:03 »
Good for you- I'm feeling quite frustrated that I gave my plot up because we are moving and the sale is taking so long to go through that we;re still here! Could have had rhubarb by now! Take it easy and just do what you can- and enjoy!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 17:15:59 »
Yes to the no dig method..although I still have to prize up the odd large clump of weeds ....but what about sort of taking on a newbie/friend , who could learn from you and share the produce  .  :coffee2:  I too wish you all the very best with the doctors . I ,ve had to slow down too ..hugs...Debbie x
Trespassers will be composted !

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 20:27:22 »
Good to hear!  Don't be disheartened ... it's been an awful start to the year for almost everyone I've spoken to ... the weeds have had a massive head start during all that time the ground was too wet to work and then romped away in the sudden heatwave with all that water still underground!  £125 does sound like an awful lot compared to my £20 ... but I suppose that's the way it goes with in-demand urban allotments.

I hope the season does well for you ... allotmenting is as brilliant as it is frustrating!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 20:34:00 »
I pay £90.  But I still think it is worth it.  Currently doing well in rhubarb, parsley and purple sprouting. 
I had one area covered in black plastic wish I had covered more.  Those with the black stuff are now rolling it back and planting things out.  Next year I will spread it out much sooner.

The currants are looking good, and I have beans and courgettes and cucumbers planted and potatoes were not much trouble. 

Have you tried a digging hoe, it uses different muscles and you do not lift the soil in the same way as digging.

My daughter was ill so I got off to a very late start.  Just no time for digging. 

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 21:49:56 »

I had one area covered in black plastic wish I had covered more.  Those with the black stuff are now rolling it back and planting things out.  Next year I will spread it out much sooner.

I've been thinking exactly the same thing ... a little bit of work in early winter saves weeks of hard slog in the spring.  I will definitely be covering my unused beds this winter.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 22:22:32 »
It works a treat for me as well :)

I also grow my onions, brassicas and squash/courgettes through the fabric as well, because weeding them can be a nightmare!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 19:51:00 »
Wondering what you decided ?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 22:26:52 »
Kept it for another year.  Haven't managed to do much yet, due to rain, doctors etc.  Have planted loads of courgettes, a few beetroot and spinach.  The apple tree doesn't look too good this year, but it was wonderful last year, so maybe having a rest.  Well may get some raspberries, gooseberries, pears etc.  Hope to have a good day up there tomorrow if we don't have thunder storms and cut down some of the long grass.  Trying to cut down on the steroids but with the doctors advice, must do it very slowly, much as I hate taking pills don't want to end up in bed again and not able to get out of it without help.   :sunny: :sunny:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 09:12:54 »
Hi Borlotti, Hopefully you will keep your interest and carry on. There is some good advice and maybe the way forward is no dig system. I have done some research due to my own health and came across broad forks where you don't dig just loosen the soil to allow air in. They aren't cheap but a colleague of mine swears by it. Also covering the ground with black plastic is a very usefull tool and using membrane and planting though that. I am trying that this year to see how I go. I would like to know what plastic people use. There is another person on our site used the plastic and when I spoke to them they were well pleased with the out come. So there are plenty of idea's out there and advice mate if you should decide to try and keep it on. Wish you all the best.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal