Author Topic: Passing on some advice  (Read 1902 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Passing on some advice
« on: April 07, 2018, 16:30:04 »
I have received the following mail and was asked me to pass it on.

Normally I do not always do such things but I thought this one was worthy of passing on:

Heart Attacks.

I hope everyone can send this on as I think it is really important for all to know!

1. Let's say it's evening and you're going home (alone of course) after an unusually hard day on the job.

2. You're feeling really tired, upset and frustrated.

3. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that starts to drag out into your arm and up into your jaw.

4. You know you are about five km from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far.

5. You know have been trained in CPR, but sadly the person that taught the course did not tell you how to perform it on yourself.

6. HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE?

Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack without help, the person whose heart is beating improperly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness.

7. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously.

A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest.

A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without let-up until help arrives, or until the heart is felt to be beating normally again.

8. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating.

The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it to regain a normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get help or to a hospital.

9. Tell as many other people as possible about this. It could save their lives!

10. A cardiologist has said: "If everyone who receive this advice sends it to say 10 people, you can bet that they will save at least one life.

11. Rather than sending jokes, please ....... contribute by forwarding this article which can save a person's life....

12. If this message comes around to you ...... more than once...... please don't get irritated ..... You need to be happy that you have many friends who care about you and you are being reminded of how to tackle .... Heart attacks .... when you are alone.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Passing on some advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 17:07:41 »
This has been doing the rounds for years and according to experts it isn't even good advice *just saying*

https://www.skillbasefirstaid.com/fake-news-coughing-not-help-survive-heart-attack/

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 18:56:44 »
The British Heart Foundation does NOT endorse this, sorry Tee Gee.

Tricia :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 19:58:16 »

No apologies required as I mentioned I had it passed on to me and normally I do not pass on these sort of articles for the reasons mentioned.

But I guess if faced with such a situation any suggestion that might help would be worth trying choose whether it is endorsed or not......do or die comes to mind!!! Or nothing ventured nothing gained!!! clutching at straws!! Etc.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 20:56:43 »

No apologies required as I mentioned I had it passed on to me and normally I do not pass on these sort of articles for the reasons mentioned.

But I guess if faced with such a situation any suggestion that might help would be worth trying choose whether it is endorsed or not......do or die comes to mind!!! Or nothing ventured nothing gained!!! clutching at straws!! Etc.

You are not the only one who passed this advice on TG.  And I have learned something as well  Thank you Plot 18.  Question is, who is always taking their phone to the plot?  Especially when going there at quiet times.  Maybe that is the real lesson how to get help in this situation.  :wave:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 20:58:37 by galina »

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 07:46:05 »
Another idea is to ensure that all members know the post code of the site and we advise to use 112  in Emergency as heard that it is easier to track the phone for the emergency services.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:51 »
112 is a pan-European emergency number.  Will that work after March next year in UK?  It works well in Europe and you will get an English speaking operator.  Would need positive confirmation that this number stays active.   :wave: 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 17:42:39 »
Sorry TG
 This says it is not supported by medical evidence and should not
be passed on.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-magazine/medical/ask-the-experts/cough-cpr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal