Author Topic: Bulbs in pots  (Read 1826 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Bulbs in pots
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:09:16 »
Apologies for the long post but you need to know the background.
I have a small garden with a patio.  I recently moved a pond and in the process had to temporarily put the following plants in pots :-
daffodils, snowdrops, snowflakes and possibly bluebells.
The daffs and snowdrops flowered ok.  I am thinking about keeping them in pots as we can see them easier that way.
Any advice or thoughts?

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Bulbs in pots
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:27:47 »
My experience is that they only live a year or 2 in pots as they seem to run out of steam - presumably because conditions in the pot aren't ideal for their summer rest.

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 09:49:36 »
My experience is that they only live a year or 2 in pots as they seem to run out of steam - presumably because conditions in the pot aren't ideal for their summer rest.
Thanks for that, in that case unless someone has an answer to this problem, I will put them back in the garden when it is safe for then.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 14:29:38 »
They do need feeding when kept in pots. Half strength Tomorite until they flower, every two weeks and half strength Maxicrop (or similar) until the leaves die down.
Don't let the Bluebells or snowdrop dry out completely once dormant. They need to be kept just moist. the daffodils may be allowed to dry out completely.
Best then repotted in Autumn in fresh soil based compost.
Gardening is the great leveller.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 15:31:21 »
I had to move house 7 years ago as we were in a tied house and the boss died however I had 90 varieties of exhibition daffodils and narcissi and no garden as we had to go to a flat. The bulbs were all put into  pots and plunged on my allotment. I have shown each year until this year, they were fed in the pots although not lifted as I am now in my 80s . They have failed to produce show flowers this year but it does show that bulbs are happy for some years in pots.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal