Author Topic: Too Wet  (Read 6537 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: Too Wet
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 17:42:17 »
 :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Got one bed dug over yesterday just before rain so that will help break it up a bit nice going though !!
i don't belive death is the end

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 18:56:07 »
Standing water in the greenhouses again!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 21:11:05 »
Rained heavily Monday, plenty more overnight and this morning. More predicted overnight tonight and scattered showers tomorrow morning.

I despair.

Will it ever stop raining?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 09:45:46 »
All dug and ready to go. But apart from the autumn planted stuff and some peas in a raised bed the rest of it will have to wait for a while. I am away to Salisbury for a fortnight, Then hopefully the season will start for me.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2018, 20:31:33 »
All dug and ready to go. But apart from the autumn planted stuff and some peas in a raised bed the rest of it will have to wait for a while. I am away to Salisbury for a fortnight, Then hopefully the season will start for me.

Were you in Salisbury a few weeks ago, Ace and have your picture taken outside Zizzi's?  The caption on this photograph which has been going around Facebook is: "Nothing to see here!".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 20:35:10 by Paulines7 »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 05:21:53 »
Sorry to hear about your back Laurie.
Likewise, and hope that all mends in good time for the main planting season L aurie.  Great shame about the daffs. 

I have planted peas and broad beans so far which seem to cope with the very wet conditions.  Nothing else yet.  Our rhubarb is still very short but finally putting on some growth and we had a first taste.  Spring this year is very late.  Daffs are in full swing, but the tulips haven't opened yet   

The kales are finally putting on a bit of spring growth too.

:wave:

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 11:24:26 »
Had hopes that this week would be better but its been wet,wet,wet and there's more rain to come for the Midlands overnight.. Sitting in the conservatory at home typing this and torrential rain is hitting the roof. Looks better for next week but it will be a long time before there's a chance of rotavation. Perhaps by Xmas!!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 20:27:07 »
this week it was really wet in the algarve
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 21:12:13 »
... and with your green fingers five minutes later you had water lilies in bloom there!

I'm hoping the sun will shine in Italy next week for me, and that despite all  the wine and pasta my waistline doesn't grow.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 21:57:13 »
It rained heavily for a couple of hours early morning, but the for rest of the day it was just a cold drizzle. Does that count as an improvement?  More rain forecast overnight but thankfully mostly only a 10% risk tomorrow.

Forecast over the coming few days actually looks quite good. Fingers crossed.

I braved the drizzle and harvested some purple sprouting broccoli. Then did the only useful task I could think of, watering in some nemaslug treatment, a job best done in damp conditions. I found it quite uplifting to see some broad beans just breaking through. It's impossible to be miserable pottering about on an allotment!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2018, 16:51:13 »
... and with your green fingers five minutes later you had water lilies in bloom there!

I'm hoping the sun will shine in Italy next week for me, and that despite all  the wine and pasta my waistline doesn't grow.my waistline grew i mean really grew lol

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 12:19:59 »
Well, I was supposed to be on holiday but the towing car has problems, Never mind I have an alternative holiday booked now so I am loafing around at home for a couple of days.  Scrub the loafing bit, I got my first earlies in. The ground has drained quite quickly so I thought I would risk it for a biscuit.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2018, 16:21:19 »
Spent this last couple of mornings on the plot, ideal digging weather not too hot not too cold.

I found the soil to be quite manageable, I managed to dig & manure one thirty foot long bed and prepare two I had dug prior to Xmas.

I then watered in some weedkiller onto the dividing footpaths so that it could do its work and dissapate prior to me planting out next month.

A good 4-5 hours work I thought considering I have been pretty much idle for the last three months or more!

BTW When I got out the old watering can I use for such tasks and was surprised to see it had its buying price written on it!

One pound three shillings and sixpence (roughly £1-15p in today's money) I shudder to think what a zinc watering can would cost to day. Apart from it having a few dents in it I worked as good as the day it was made.

Correct me if I am wrong but did £sd go out in 1972? if so that makes it at least 46 years old and still going strong.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2018, 18:05:45 »
I have bought a couple lately in the local equivalent of car boot sales at 4€ a piece.  Was intending to paint them for decorating bits of the garden but in fact their roses are very good for my seed trays so they're still working cans at the mo.  Much better than the plastic roses for gentle spraying IMHO.  I shall look for more.

Got my wee toms planted out this morning as we finally have warm sun and blue skies.  Just about to go and cover them for the night before it gets too cool but better than cooking in the polyT.  40C in ether the other day when I went to sow so OH has put the shading on for me and we open the doors early.

No digging here.  We put cardboard and/or compost on the empty beds and are forking over and weeding as and when I have things to plant out.  The only dogging will be when we make new flower and shrub beds to get as much bindweed and friends out as possible before adding compost, planting and mulching.
Obxx - Vendée France

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2018, 19:31:28 »
Spent this last couple of mornings on the plot, ideal digging weather not too hot not too cold.

I found the soil to be quite manageable, I managed to dig & manure one thirty foot long bed and prepare two I had dug prior to Xmas.

I then watered in some weedkiller onto the dividing footpaths so that it could do its work and dissapate prior to me planting out next month.

A good 4-5 hours work I thought considering I have been pretty much idle for the last three months or more!

BTW When I got out the old watering can I use for such tasks and was surprised to see it had its buying price written on it!

One pound three shillings and sixpence (roughly £1-15p in today's money) I shudder to think what a zinc watering can would cost to day. Apart from it having a few dents in it I worked as good as the day it was made.

Correct me if I am wrong but did £sd go out in 1972? if so that makes it at least 46 years old and still going strong.

We went decimal in February 1971.   I remember is mainly because we got married that year and half the arrangements were done in £ s d and half in £ p!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2018, 20:45:32 »
all dried here on the sunshine coast cut the paths today and the 2 lawns planted 20 Savoy and 20 cabbice just have kalibos  , primo and calabresse  to plant this week then lettuce and beetroot all ready to go out

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2018, 21:38:11 »
The lagoon has finally dried up....

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2018, 14:06:08 »
finished all cabbages planted

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2018, 15:36:13 »

Now what are you going to do for the rest of the year  :happy7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2018, 20:02:11 »

Now what are you going to do for the rest of the year  :happy7:
he he tee gee as you know all too well i have no time to dwell
 tomatoes beetroot beans peas and sweetcorn.
 soft fruit with sharp thorn
 apples peaches plums and green gauges
then time to clear away the greenhouse stages
then all the other tasks i forgot to mention
to bore you with this poem was not my intention
the wife says rest
and stay home at the nest
but love my plots and thats your lot

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal