Author Topic: unknown seeds  (Read 2055 times)

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
unknown seeds
« on: March 30, 2018, 19:16:29 »
Can any one recognize these seedlings ? I did a stupid thing I saved some seeds last year and never put the name on the container,  all I put was saved seeds on the label thinking I would recognize the seeds and these was sown and germinated well the seedling came up like a tulip leaf sort of semi folded over and a slight blue tinge  I don't think I would have saved tulip seeds ,i.am stumped  on what they are would love to know   and have no camera to take any photos to show

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: unknown seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 00:47:20 »
Is it one of these?

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 07:29:12 »
Gardening teaches us patience  !  ...you'll just have to wait,n,see !  lol !  Debbie :)
Trespassers will be composted !

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 10:08:07 »
 That's the ones Squeezyjohn !  How clever of you to recognize it lol

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:22:04 »
Not a very clear description I'm afraid.  But let's give it a shot.  Did you see two seed leaves or not?  I guess that only single little shoots came up not a stem with two little plain leaves.  Did you say it was sort of folded over?  A single tiny narrow stem (not wide like a tulip leaf) with a folded over top section would suggest an allium, for example a leek or an onion. 

https://thebikinggardener.com/2014/02/06/land-of-the-giants-growing-big-onions/
(second and third picture)

Hope this helps   :wave:

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 11:55:39 »
Thanks for the suggestion  but no,   .. I can recognize a onion seedling plus many more shoots  These are folded over length ways  like you would expect a Tulip to start shooting though the ground but these are the size of a blade of grass and a lot thicker then grass with a blueish tinge and I haven't had any tulips on the allotment or at home to save seed from Thought it would be fun to have loads of guessing on here

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal