Author Topic: pricking out  (Read 5423 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: pricking out
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 23:14:17 »
and 40 cornflower back ball
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 17:28:42 »
back to the plots today after a holiday. Things have really moved on !

i think i'll be planting all week

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 16:44:03 »
this is a picture of the cornflowers blackball in the reply two above

small

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 16:55:24 »
I've pricked out some brassicas and french marigolds this morning. Atm, they are drooped over and looking dreadful. Maybe I've lost the knack! I've got  trays of petunias and coleus waiting, perhaps I need to be a bit more careful.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 21:03:06 »
i prick mine out when they are really small less root to damage and less leaves to maintain from this

to this in a week

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2018, 13:54:07 »
As always my stuff is well behind many of you guys but I am not particularly worried about it.

Had a look in my diaries for what I was doing about 20 years ago this week and it is very similar.

I started my tomatoes & peppers a bit earlier this year (about 8 weeks ago) they germinated quite quickly and I pricked them out about 6 weeks ago but they have hardly moved in the last 4 weeks  :sad8:

I put this down to lack of light so my early bird attempts have not worked, but as I said before I am not too worried as plants always seem to have a way catching up, possibly the sunshine we have been promised for the next week will push them on a bit.

Another thing I have been thinking about lately is have we become confused with the weather due to what we have experienced in the last few winters.
For example we don't seem to have had 'seasons' like we did in the past, in fact this is why I looked back in my diaries to see if this year has been a bit like the old days and I would say it has, which again accounts for me not being particularly worried about "my lack of progress"

In the past (pre-2000) this incoming week was usually the week I prepared my previously dug soil in preparation for planting out, so it looks like it will be back to the "good old days" for me next week!

I took these photos this morning;

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2018, 17:28:21 »
i agree even here on the sunshine coast light levels have been low
low cloud and fog being the normal this year still as its warmer things really are moving plan ted out my cauliflowers today will plant greyhound around them they will be harvested before cauliflowers get big and baulk out

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal