Author Topic: Way way behind  (Read 4148 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Way way behind
« on: March 19, 2018, 20:53:34 »
Well I guess I'm not unique but this season, following a combination of flu and the bad weather, I am way way behind. Further behind than I can ever remember. Just a few broad beans on the plot, not showing. Nothing in the propagator yet. The only consolation being that with such a cold start to the growing season there is plenty of time to catch up.

At the end of last week (before the weekend snow) I made a quick inspection trip to the allotment and saw something that lifted my spirits - the early signs of a few ranunculus peeping through the mulch. I hope the cold snap over the weekend did not do too much damage. I am not entirely sure how hardy they are.

Anyway the plan is to make a bit of progress tomorrow and Wednesday. Buds will be bursting before we know it!

Not mad, just out to mulch!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: Way way behind
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 22:12:55 »
No your not alone i think its going to be a tough year for everyone even the commersial growers with cold weather now till mid april forcast. Chin up and Hugs :)

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:05:47 »
Cornwall not much better, rain,rain,rain then a few dry days got plot dug, lovely frost then rain, rain then snow. A few broad beans have made it but will have to resow the gaps. Everything else is on hold in the greenhouse. Even the daffs in the garden are flattened or chewed.

But it is sunny today and the snow is melting!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 15:01:42 »
It is an utter waste of time and effort to try and work the soil when the weather is not right. I have never found a year when thins did not catch up despite a late start. All I have in so far are some onion sets, my seed potatoes etc. are all ready but waiting until the ground is in the right condition. I have been a gardener for 60 + years. 

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 15:10:17 »
I did get one allotment ready for planting last week, but the soil is far to cold to plant anything. Loads of stuff ready to go in the greenhouse, there is no heat in there so it is all holding steady ready for the big plant out.

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 18:01:44 »
I was hoping to get some potatoes and onion sets in over Easter weekend but have heard that the weather is going to be very cold so like everyone else things will be late going in  this year                                                                                              I did go to the allotment today and laid a lot of see through plastic down hoping it will warm the soil up but time will tell 
Barnsley S Yorks

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 19:48:36 »
I too haven't planted, or even sown anything yet, not only due to the weather but also the fact that I'm moving from the Midlands to South Wales this weekend.
As soon as I've done the basics in the new house, I'll be sowing the brassicas in the gro-house and tomatoes and chillies in the heated propagator.
It was very hard saying goodbye to my plot of 9 years, but needs must.
Here's to the start of the next phase!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 20:55:19 »
Taking the view that life is more 'glass half full' rather than' half empty', I would encourage you to be more upbeat. Its not only us who are affected, most of the farmers and growers are similarly placed. This will result in smaller sowings, later harvests of reduced size. Prices are likely to increase. Europe is also affected, remember the Spanish iceberg lettuce riots last year?, so imports are going to be dearer.

However, those of us who can grow, even if less , are more fortunate than those who do not. Its time to work out how to recover and maximise what we can achieve.
 This means more cloches, and using means to raise soil temperature, such as black sheets, mulches etc.
Growing plants in frames to plant out, making best use of what you have, maximising slug and pest control. The game is on.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 22:31:08 »
I agree with the others don't worry you will catch up.

As it happens the last week in March is usually my start date for veg propagation apart from Onions from seed which I sowed in January.

If this is a problem then using setts is a replacement for that if needs be!

Oddly enough I just happened to mention to the other half that I might sow some seeds tomorrow,and it hasn't crossed my mind that I am running late.

Just as an aside I have been keeping diaries for years and my records for mid March are showing that this season is about two to three weeks behind the previous couple of years.

So if it is any consolation even  Mother Nature by my reckoning is running behind!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 23:39:16 »
I wait until I see weeds beginning to germinate before I start sowing outside. We are some time off that with the ground being too cold at present.

The peach, almond, apricot and cherry plum are about to open their first flowers and soft fruit bushes are starting to show green buds so things are definitely on the  move.

I too have plants in trays itching to go in when conditions allow.

I never want to hear anyone say we don't have winters like we used to anymore!!! :happy7:

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 08:20:38 »
Hi Ya, I am so far behind as I haven't sown a thing yet. This weekend I am hoping to get some ground prepared, my spuds are out chitting in a warmish place. I was a little perturbed to hear this morning that the Easter weekend is forecast for more snowy conditions. So hold out a little yet. I am fed up with this cold now but at least it may cut down the foes of us gardeners but also hitting the good ones especially as we had that mild spell last month that has conned all into a false sense. Oh well who would be a gardener? Me I love it really.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 17:44:01 »
I have just printed the raspberries. Only MONTHS late :BangHead:

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 18:57:54 »
Bloody 'ell I didn't know theses 3D printers could make live material!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 22:24:45 »
If it's too cold for me to be comfy in the garden it's too cold for seeds and seedlings and plugs.  I don't see the point of worrying about it.

The only thing is that a late spring does tend to come all in a whoosh so you need a plan when it does come or you'll end up in a tizz of half done jobs.   Grow what you can when you can and enjoy the process and the flavours.   

Good luck with the move Pescador.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 07:39:35 »
LOL @ Pescador :toothy10:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 08:11:16 »
My plot is still a sticky slippy clay mess and I haven't sown much at home yet.  I wouldn't consider putting spuds out or sowing seed in open ground yet.
However I have a few things on windows sills - Red Alert toms, peppers/chillis, celery/celeriac and some early broccoli just coming up and just put some cabbages\brussels in... 
There is always a tendency to panic at this time of year but really there is loads of time.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal