Author Topic: Planting bare rooted apple tree but frost forecasted  (Read 1234 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
Planting bare rooted apple tree but frost forecasted
« on: March 16, 2018, 15:34:32 »
Bought a bare rooted apple tree but this weekend, when I was going to plant it, there's a frost/light snow/very cold weather forecasted. It is in a cool place at the moment (porch) but I just noticed it's showing leaf buds.

Is it best to plant or leave it. Am a bit worried that it's going to continue to sprout more leaves if I leave it as it is.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Planting bare rooted apple tree but frost forecasted
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 16:12:56 »
The one thing you must avoid at all costs is letting the roots dry out. That will harm the tree and could kill it.

Personally, I'd plant it without delay.  Apple trees are fairly hardy and can certainly cope with UK conditions. Even a strong cold snap will have no impact if you settle the roots when you plant it.  Delaying will be the more difficult option. It can be difficult to get the correct balance between keeping the roots moist but without waterlogging. Both drying out and waterlogging will harm the tree.

Indeed when unable to plant bare root trees immediately the standard advice is to "heel in" which for all practical purposes is much like temporary planting. The ideal way of keeping the roots at the correct moisture level is to have them surrounded by moist soil!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
Re: Planting bare rooted apple tree but frost forecasted
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 16:22:53 »
Thanks Beersmith - that's very useful information

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal