Author Topic: Frost protection  (Read 2035 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Frost protection
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:15:40 »
Just saw that we have a weather warning for the beginning of next week (NE Spain) night temperatures of -5 or below with a wind chill making it feel like -11º - that's very unusual here for mid / late March. I have an apricot tree in full bloom and nectarines, hazelnut and kiwis that are just beginning to show signs of life. Still too early for the plums and cherries unless the warm weather we have at the moment changes anything in the next few days. I don't think I'll be able to get any fleece in time so any suggestions for protection - the apricot is quite well established, about 6 feet wide, the kiwis and nectarines have only be planted in the last 6 weeks and are all young trees / vines.

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Frost protection
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:22:26 »
Old sheets?  Old net curtains?  Fleece is best as it is light but it does only give a degree or two of protection.   Maybe a windbreak as cold winds make it feel even colder?

I'm watching our local weather too for this weekend as I have apricots, still in pots, and producing beautiful blossoms which I may need to protect.
Obxx - Vendée France

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 12:36:37 »
Thanks, I'll see what I can find - do you know if it's only trees in flower that will be impacted, or best to try to protect the young trees / vines just beginning to show some life.

I saw a simulation of the cold air moving over France into the north of Spain so I assume you'll be hit too.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 13:30:50 »
All young shoots will be vulnerable.   Fortunately for us it's been cold enough for the grapes not to be budding yet and, thanks to the long drought all last year, most of my plants are in pots and can be put under shelter.
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 19:12:54 »
Sussex apple growers used this method;
https://www.gardenguides.com/108340-spray-fruit-trees-water-prevent-freezing.html
creating ponds  with poly sheet within their orchards just for this purpose.
Sadly the production of their Cox's Pippins are no more.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 08:39:01 »
They use that same method of water spraying on the peach trees here. They now offer visits during the flowering season, bit like the Japanese cherry bloom, the photo on the home page here is just up the road http://fruiturisme.info/en/

I'll just have to keep an eye on the forecast and do what I can this weekend to get things protected.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 13:35:34 »
Old sheet, damp newspaper.  Cling film,  smudge pots.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smudge_pot

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 17:19:40 »
I popped into the garden centre nearby and they didn't have any fleece clearly on sale but they had some when I asked :-) Guess they don't have much demand - so that's sorted and I have some bubble wrap to put round the young kiwis and small nectarine tress. Smudge pots look interesting :-)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 17:47:23 »
My baby nectarines are indoors for the night now and the citrus and Japanese maples will come in from their outside window sill where they've been spending the last few daytimes.   Should only feel like 0C tonight but nasty cold stuff tomorrow night.   Better safe than sorry.
Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 20:31:08 »
I know that orchards in flower are often protected with smoke - but I think that's mainly from ground frosts (should be called sky frosts?). Obviously it only works if you have a large densely planted area with a good shelter belt.

The only method I recall that's immune to wind is spraying with water -  as ice forms it releases a shedload of latent heat, and the ice protects bare branches a bit.

What I'm not sure of is how flowers react - google "water spray to protect trees against frost".
Some info here in the first answer     http://homeguides.sfgate.com/spray-fruit-trees-water-before-freeze-57933.html

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal