Author Topic: Tomatoes again  (Read 2524 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Tomatoes again
« on: March 12, 2018, 12:07:09 »
TeeGee, I have just seen your picture of Gardener's Delight tomatoes on another thread and they are brilliant.  Mine never look anything like that yet I feed and water them.  Can you tell me what compost you use and what you feed them with, please?  You seem to have yours in wooden troughs too.  Are they better than plastic pots?

Your help in this matter is much appreciated, TeeGee.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Tomatoes again
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 13:13:36 »
(1) Can you tell me what compost you use and(2)what you feed them with, please?  (3)You seem to have yours in wooden troughs too.  (4) Are they better than plastic pots?

(1) They are not in compost they are in the tunnel/greenhouse bed subject to rotation plan. (see pic 2)

(2)  I use Vitax Vita Feed Standard 1-0-2 or any high potash feed e.g Tomorite.

(3) They are in raised beds in this case (see pic 1)

(4) I sometimes grow them by the 'ring culture' process, subject to rotation plan. (see Pic3 )

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 23:19:13 »
Thank you so much TeeGee for your photos and explanation.  When My husband assembled our greenhouse about 5 years ago, he put paving slabs down the middle and shingle at the sides and end.  This means that I can only grow my tomatoes in pots whereas yours can have a deeper root run through your raised beds and into the soil. 

What compost would you recommend please for those grown by the ring culture process?  I have similar ring culture pots which dig in and sit on top of large pots and I normally use grow bag compost and sometimes spent compost with some general fertilizer mixed in.

The only ones I had success with last year were yellow rapture.  They were small and numerous, but I would really like to grow some larger tomatoes which grow in trusses. 

Your help is much appreciated TeeGee.  Thank you.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 11:53:39 »
What compost would you recommend please for those grown by the ring culture process?  I have similar ring culture pots which dig in and sit on top of large pots and I normally use grow bag compost and sometimes spent compost with some general fertilizer mixed in.

Strangely enough I am going to be faced with a similar situation this year now that I have got rid of one of my allotments and I brought an 8' x 6' greenhouse up home where I plan to grow Tomatoes & Peppers using 'Ring Culture' on a concrete floor.

OK!

In terms of how I used them on the Allotment I think this link will be the best way to show you how I grew my plants.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/R/Ring%20Culture/Ring%20Culture.htm

Now for this year;.....First of all look at the pictures below to see my plan. The only difference from the link is I laid a timber kerb on the concrete flags and filled the void with rotted manure as a moisture reservoir at the allotment but this year I plan not to do that, only time will tell if this will be successful!

Regarding the compost I use this usually turns out to be whatever  suitable material I have at hand.

Let me explain; I never throw my 'seed compost' away after I have pricked out my new seedlings, similarly if I have emptied any pots I save that compost to for re-use.

My theory as to why I don't use 'new' compost is....if I was growing in the border I would not change the soil i.e. I use the border soil time and time again.

OK I do plan my beds in a way to ensure I do not grow say Tomatoes in the same bed the following year and this tends to prevent any build up disease in the soil.

As I see it! the way I produce my compost for ring culture means I am effectively changing the soil each year.

Next I riddle all this second hand compost to remove any root systems that may be in it. Then I add some really well rotted horse manure( it looks like chocolate cake when it comes out of the dalek compost bin) with the second hand compost  at a rate of around 50-50. ( I am never exact)

Then I add some fertiliser which could be either Vitax Q4, John Innes Base mix, Fish Blood & Bone or Growmore. This usually works out at about 3oz to a 2 gallon bucket of mixed compost. What I have started using lately is slow release pellets that I get from "Pound Shop".

I am never too worried about the strength of the mix as I look upon this as just a medium to hold moisture around the root ball. The real feeding starts when the first truss sets and I apply regular doses of high potash liquid feeding.

So you see I am not to fussy with my ring culture compost other than it must be 'humus rich' so that it holds moisture! or in other words....the proverbial loamy compost on the cheap.

Talking of being cheap! When I was but a lad I asked an old fella  what is the best " Green Manure" ? His reply was " Pound Notes"

the older ones among you  will remember pound notes were " green"

Well as I did not have many "Pound Notes" at hand, I had to try other methods and what I have written above is one of them.

So I hope this helps Pauline (or anyone else for that matter! )....Tg

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 17:05:52 »
TeeGee, thank you so much for your detailed reply. 

I will try a few plants using the ring culture system, some with tomato grow pots and others in just large plain pots, so I can compare them.  One thing that I have never done is to mix well rotted manure and a fertiliser with the compost for the tomato plants.  I will definitely try this.

I notice that you have boarding behind your ring culture pots, TeeGee.  Is this to keep the sun off the lower parts of the tomato plants? 

Thank you once again TeeGee for your helpful advice.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 17:42:50 »
I notice that you have boarding behind your ring culture pots,

No these boards double as benches for hardening off or for storing over wintered plants 

Then when I fill my pot to grow plants they are dropped behind the pots out of the way until I need them again.

My own version of a flat pack.

Who knows Ikea might take up the idea  :icon_cheers:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 17:57:45 »
Thanks TeeGee.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 18:30:28 »
I am insprired :) although for now i am going to plant my terricota pots in my beds in the greenhouse cover these in membrane and then fill the pots for tomatos :) maybe with a string through bottom for hanging off roof of greenhouse

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal