Author Topic: Celeriac  (Read 1628 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Celeriac
« on: March 09, 2018, 19:15:11 »

HELP PLEASE -again!

The celeriac I planted indoors in trays is now ready to go into "modular trays".  How big do the "modules" have to be?  1" square or  2" ?
I'm going to have to buy more as the germination has been VERY good indeed, and I've not grown celeriac before.   :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 21:19:28 »
I use modules approx 62X52., in 9s. Unless you are growing for sale, and these would find a small but ready market, just how many celeriac do you intend to grow/consume in a year?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 15:34:12 »
Personally, with that choice, I'd go with 2".

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 15:59:22 »
I'd go for 2 inch. And you may not need to buy too many. Celeriac need between 9 and 12 inches of space to get to a good size. So a 15 foot row will require maybe 15 to 20 plants. It is a nice vegetable, but last season I grew two rows and that was ample for me and Mrs B.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 14:05:44 »
Thanks to everybody for the help. I have pricked out 30 into 2" pots. That should be ample for my needs if they all go.  Unfortunately, I have about 70 seedlings left as the whole pcket germinated this time. I will try to unload them to other plotholders down in "compost corner"
Very many thanks to all again.    :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal