Author Topic: Mini grow tunnels - best types?  (Read 1742 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Mini grow tunnels - best types?
« on: March 11, 2018, 22:18:16 »
Grateful for advice on best approach for small grow tunnels for the plot.  Previously I used plastic ones for seedlings but it didnt take much fluctuation in temperature to quickly cook everything.  The larger net ones seem too large for the early growth stages, less likely to warm the soil up and a cold spell or downpour could knock out the plants.  What do others advise?  Start off with fleece tunnels, then move on to the net ones...or is there one type that could be used from first shoots through to final crop.

Thanks for all the advice.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Mini grow tunnels - best types?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2018, 08:33:29 »
What size are you considering? If it's the smallest size of polytunnel you can walk into then I'd advise thinking seriously about buying one that isn't green.

I've tied my brain in knots thinking about these trendy green tunnels but basically if the light inside the tunnel is green then it's exactly what plants don't want (take a white paper inside and compare it to a sheet left outside the door) - they let green light bounce off their leaves because they are using the red and blue to grow and throwing away the green - that's why gro-tube lamps are purple.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal