Poll

Do you use chemicals(weedkiller etc) on your garden/lottie?

Yes- nuke the weeds!
No, I'm totally organic
I might use chemicals in the future

Author Topic: Do you use chemicals(weedkiller etc) on your garden/lottie?  (Read 9636 times)

thrinnyuk

Re: Do you use chemicals(weedkiller etc) on your garden/lottie?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 14:25:12 »
I've recently resorted to spraying my brick path but other than that I just use derris.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 14:29:19 »
Wots a chemical? Bordeaux definately is, albeit one with some limited organic approval -although it's an inorganic compound? I've got an unopened tub but I don't think I'll be using it as it's basically the same stuff that I put on the bottom of the boat to kill things -not at all nice and something of a pollutant.

So far I'm chemical-free at the allotment (unless you count seaweed drenches -which I don't.). I don't plan to use weedkillers at all, just mulches and hoe-ing/hand weeding. Less sure about pesticides though, although I'll start with barrier methods and deterrents like coffee. That said I'm not too convinced by coffee, looking at the way the beasties run when you pour it on, on the other hand the worms seem to thrive in it if my wormery is anything to go by.

Jeremy

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 19:22:19 »
I use chemicals to keep the weeds down on the vacant allotmments either side but other than that I just put plastic down until I'm ready to use the land and weed when it's got crops in.
Luckily we don't have a big problem with slugs etc.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2005, 21:49:58 »
I am chemical free, and there isn't a chemical developed or discovered that would nuke my mares tail plantation - if there was I may well be tempted.  I just hoe and hoe and hoe.  Black plasticked some beds for over a year, when I took the plastic up there were the mares tail shoots, on the surface, just waiting for the sunlight. 

piers

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 17:47:12 »
I have to say I can't believe how many people are using Roundup! Without wishing to be too much of a scaremonger, this is a very very dangerous product. Studies in Columbia, where aerially sprayed Roundup is used to kill cocaine plants, show enormously harmful side effects including burning eyes, dizziness, respiratory problems, gastric disorders, and impaired reproductive function... Believe me, you do not want to be putting this stuff on your allotment!

johcharly

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 18:02:11 »
have to say I agree with you on the roundup Piers, everyone except me uses on our site. Scary

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 18:16:58 »
Are humans pests??

They obviously know something??

"One final precaution, Roundup, like all other pesticides should always be used..."

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 20:06:11 »
I use all sorts of foliar feeds  ;)  ;)  ;D
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 20:31:37 »
Especially seaweed - organic?

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 09:53:39 »
i've answered that i may in the future. i haven't yet and hope not to but i've been fighting a patch of couch and creeping buttercup for 20 months now and i may have to research something to get rid of that if i can't sort it this year. its been under black plastic for over a year and it seems to have made a difference. here's hoping....

oh apart from a bit of derris on the gooseberry sawflies.

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2005, 14:29:47 »
I would like to find something that is effective against the bloody pests that broke into our shed again.  Just come back from the plot and it have been ransacked.  Easter holidays eh ?  Why can't they do something less annoying with their time.
Get with the beat Baggy

vegging out

• Quarter Acre
  • Weymouth,Dorset
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2005, 14:02:21 »
Hi all,my 1st post here,been reading site for a while.
  Felt I had to post just to say that i'm amazed at how many of you use chemicals,the reason I grow my own is to get away from chemically pumped up fruit and veg from supermarkets etc.I know that some of you don't use it on your veg but I think any use of chemicals is a serious threat to the enviroment and damaging to micro-organisms within the soil,basically its not just the weeds your killing.
  Saying that i'm not totally organic because sometimes i can't find organic seeds for certain things i want to grow. ::)
  Cheers,Dar the hypocrite.  :)

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2005, 14:37:21 »
i am very interested in 'natural' concoctions for fighting pests - so long as they easily produced. various receipes included boiling rhubarb leaves for two hours and using the resulting 'tincture' - but i cant remember on what???

i have bought a ready mixed insecticide at B&Q which i am pleased to say actually carried the HDRA stamp of approval for being organic. so, i hope this will sort my whitefly, aphids and a few other nasties.

i must go and find those websites again that give natural (even if officially illegal) receipes...

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

SEDUM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2005, 22:35:02 »
I try to keep a garden and veg patch free from artificial fertilizers and pest controllers. 

Instead, I encourage as many living things as possible into the garden, with a hedgehog house, various woodpiles in secluded spots, a small wildlife patch, pond for the frogs and bird feeders inc. a birdtable that is topped up at least twice a day. 

In return the frogs have a go at the slugs, the birds peck off greenfly from here, there and everywhere and probably unseen, but doing their bit are a good cross-section of bugs that prey on other troublesome pests.

In addition, I try to hold plants back in my 6'x6' greenhouse, until they are larger and stronger and able to withstand some gnawing from pests.  When all is done though, some things don't survive and I just think that's life. :)

Art

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2005, 19:26:52 »
i have used/am using weedol and sodium chloride on paths and uncultivated bits to try to tame the rampant couch grass as my poor old back can't take much more digging!
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2005, 21:45:45 »
for Svea - you might enjoy this http://oisat.org/?  Bug juice ???

All best - Gavin

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2005, 10:10:15 »
SODIUM CHLORIDE, excuse me shouting but that stuff leaches into your garden from the paths and takes a long long time to degrade, also if you start using another brand of weedkiller at a later date it will mix in with it ending up with a lethal concoction.

I was lucky that I passed quite a few exams and am qualified to spray pesticides/herbicides unlike most of you and also  the young contractors that ride around on quads spraying the streets and pavements.

Before you treat any 'public' area you have to check what has been sprayed before which should be recorded and a copy used to be sent to MAFF. Public means just that, if other people come on your plot/garden/drive. Postie/milkman/friends even children chasing their ball it is public.

How many people have a tin of weedkiller in the shed that has been there years, it is frightening that this stuff is still being used.

If you must spray, I still do as I cannot afford to be overrun with weeds or desease. First check what has been used in the past, then measure your area and calibrate how much chemical you have to use, the directions can be obtained easily on the web, or a leaflet inside the packet. Do not add one for the pot. Then make a note on the date, dosage and type to keep for future reference.

If you cannot do this then go organic, I wish I could.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2005, 12:39:04 »

How many people have a tin of weedkiller in the shed that has been there years, it is frightening that this stuff is still being used.

If you cannot do this then go organic, I wish I could.

Not me guv - never owned the stuff.  Currently researching all the teas which may prove useful.  It seems if you spray neat nettle tea this acts as an effective herbicide.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2005, 18:19:57 »
I only have a far too small garden so it's relatively easy for me to avoid chemicals.  This is the first year with fruit and veg. but it makes even more sense not to use chemicals on something we're about to eat!

I've lost various plants to various beasties and nasties over the years and annoyed as I always am at the time, with hindsight I know I'd always rather take the loss than upset the natural balance.

On the other hand, of course, I don't  - yet, but I'm getting very tempted  - have a large, possibly overgrown allotment to tame and keep controlled  :)  Maybe I'd be singing a different tune then  :-\ ?

Ellkebe

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2005, 19:31:42 »
On the pesticide side of the thread - I find it interesting that, since I have stopped treating the greenhouse with the state of the art atomising sprayer or predators, I have had 2 clean years without either. Just an Armillatox washdown in the autumn & a smoke in the Spring. And the odd squidging in passing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal