Author Topic: Peat Pellets  (Read 2397 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Peat Pellets
« on: March 11, 2018, 08:57:06 »
I've been using peat pellets this year for the first time and from the start have been a little apprehensive as they didn't come with any real instructions other than to soak in water (how much?) to let them expand and then sow seed into the top. I searched the internet to get advice and then went ahead. I sowed tomato seeds which worked well and these were quickly potted on and are growing fine. I also did some begonia seeds. I sowed 24 peat pellets with pelleted begonia seed and the remainder of the seed went into a regular seed tray. they all came up fine, but now I see that the begonias in the tray are bigger than those growing in the peat pellets. They are still too small to have outgrown the pellet, so I wonder whether they are getting too wet, too dry or whether the compost in the tray is just better - it should be, its homemade! Anyway, I wondered if anybody has thoughts or advice on using these peat pellets more effectively. Thanks.

Danno

• Not So New ...
Re: Peat Pellets
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 22:57:04 »
As far as i know a lot of peat pellets are actually made of coco coir which has no nutrients in. Which is why they're growing better in the compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal