Author Topic: celeriac  (Read 2031 times)

small

• Hectare
celeriac
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:23:32 »
Maybe this should be in pests and diseases.
It's years since I grew celeriac but thought I'd have another go this year. I started the seed (Kings Giant Prague) in the propagator and they were up in a week, so I put them on the sunny windowsill. Then they mostly keeled over. Is this damping off, do you think? They didn't get cold, I kept the compost on the dry side, and everything else (even the coleus!) is fine. Advice from experienced celeriac growers please!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: celeriac
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 18:44:58 »
Two things spring to mind - change of heat - they wouldn't like suddenly being colder - and lack of water.  They need moisture, but not drowning, to do well, just like celery.

I last tried them from seed years ago but found them tricky but I then found plugs available in some garden centres and that was much easier.  Haven't seen them here tho so considering seed again this year as I love the taste but find the ones in shops just too big.
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 21:36:57 »
That's good germination as they are usually quite slow.

Both celery and celeriac are related to marsh dwelling plants. Now I often have trouble with seedlings "damping off" probably by my incompetent over watering but almost never with celeriac.  I wonder if they got a bit too hot or cold? It can get very hot very quickly behind glass and also when celeriac first germinate they are really tiny and delicate. But equally with the sort of weather of late cold can strike through a window quite easily.

If you can get them through in a week not too late to try again.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 15:10:47 »
thanks both. I've resown, and am nurturing with great care the two seedlings that survived the plague! I'll keep you posted.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 17:29:19 »
I've only just sown mine :)

early weeder

• Not So New ...
  • We are in windy Midlothian in a frost pocket!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 20:59:06 »
Mine have done the same but then I did leave them for three days in a house with no heat when we couldn't get home for the snow. Celery also looking a bit patchy. Hoping a few of them pick up but will probably resow when the tomatoes are out of the propagator.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 19:19:28 »
My first go at Celeriac. They don't like the propagatir switched off. I gave mine a few days with no heat on, and then put it back on at night. Moved the tray out to the bathroom window (warm room) and the thrived. Now need to move on.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 21:25:47 »
my repeat sowing is now germinating, still in the propagator, will take them out tomorrow to the sunny windowsill and keep my fingers crossed!
I don't even like it that much, but now I've started I've got to finish. I shall curse them when I have to peel them, I know.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal