Produce > Edible Plants

Seed saving cataolgue -ONLY!! 2017 onwards

<< < (2/3) > >>

earlypea:
Early bush tomato:  Silvery Fir Tree

Notable for their unusual frothy, silvery foliage (didn't manage to capture the beauty of it on camera).  Abundant flattened early tomatoes, larger than expected - very juicy. Think they would grow better in containers as difficult to manage down on the ground.

Grown outside SW London:  sown 6 March, cropping from 13 July in what was a good summer.

Abundant, but quite difficult to manage plants.

First proper harvest 2nd week July (some others tomatoes in there - it's the large flat ones that are silvery Fir)

Tomato indeterminate:  Yellow Brandywine (Sudduth Strain)
Needs no introduction.   Seeds originally from The Tomato Supply Co.  Surprised that the yellow tasted even better than the pink last year and that was exquisite enough! 

Lettuce:  Australian Yellow Leaf
An extra large, loose-leaf variety, extremely slow to bolt.  Very striking, bright yellowy/lime-green leaves, making a beatiful contrast with other varieties.  Source:  Realseeds

Australian Yellow Leaf with Bath Cos and Cinmarron (thanks Galina!) in background for contrast.

Carrot:  Gniff (not self-saved)

Very enjoyable to grow.  As described below there is a lot of variety in each.  As you slice in you find a different world each time.  They are slow-growing and small but bulbous.  I believe they should do well in heavier soil (I have fine, carroty soil myself).  The pictures below are from August after an early April sowing.  Ones that I dug up in the Autumn hadn't grown any longer, but grown in breadth with multiple roots and looked like purple mountain landscapes (if you turned them upside down!).  They have an ususually dense texture so not good for raw eating, but keep for much longer before going floppy.
Source:  Kokopelli

Here is the history from rareseeds.com
"A very rare landrace from the Tessin region of Switzerland. These amethyst colored carrots were re-discovered in the 1950s in the picturesque Alps village of Bre being grown by local women who sold them at famers markets. “Gniff” is translated to purple in the local dialect. Being a landrace, there is a range of expression of colors in this carrot, always a purple exterior with a various amount of violet inside. This is a slow-growing storage carrot that is tradionally pickled; locals will steam, slice and preserve in olive oil, parsley and garlic."
https://www.rareseeds.com/gniff-carrot/

markfield rover:
Croft's Italian CFB originally from HSL
Ray's Butter Bean  CFB.  originally from HSL
Royality DFB.  Originally from HSL
Emperor of Russia. DFB  Originally  from Adam Alexander, veggingoutwithadam.com
His description.... One of the finest French beans you will ever eat . Prolific and very early. Sow seeds under bottle cloches for their first month of growth in early May for a crop on early July. An abundance of very long pencil thin and completely stringless pods are Bourne on plants that grow to 2'. Support with string and a network of short stakes . Harvest when 5" long. For late crop sow in July to harvest from September.

His website is worth a look he seems to have collected seed from various war zones and has several from Syria , I did have some Syrian BB seed which I did pass on to some new plot holders that are Syrian , I'll check to see to see how they  compare to  aquadulce etc.

galina:

--- Quote from: markfield rover on March 08, 2018, 11:10:10 --- , I did have some Syrian BB seed which I did pass on to some new plot holders that are Syrian , I'll check to see to see how they  compare to  aquadulce etc.

--- End quote ---

Description of Syrian Broad Beans:
http://seedsaverscircle.org/a4a-seed-saver-group-2016/

martinburo:
parsnip. This is F5 now, I think. I started out with several varieties, Tender and True, Avon resistor, and at least 2 others that I can't find back now. Biennial.

Turkish rocket. What I've sent in are seedpods with a single seed in each. It might increase germination success if you crack the pods open. But the plants become quite substantial, ~40cm across, so you probably don't need to worry about having every single seed germinate. Tastes somewhat like endives. Perennial.

Achocha fat baby. Frost sensitive but grows well outside. Germination success tends to be only about 50%. Plants that have been sown indoors several weeks before the last frost don't produce any sooner than plants that have been sown direct outdoors on the last expected frost date. Produces a hollow fruit that tastes like cucumber. Can be eaten whole when small (<2 cm), or wait until they have become hollow, at which point it's easy to remove the seeds from a fruit that's been nicked open with a knife.  Annual.

sparrow:
Ok - with apologies that is has fewer things in than the original parcel, whch is still on its travels..

Parsnip Guernsey Half-Long. Seeds originally from HSL and the seeds sent into the parcel are a mix from 3 parsnips I left to flower and set seed. I really like them - they did very well in my heavy clay soil without many that looked tentacular.

Squash Potimarron - depending on who you read, this is either a larger variant of Uchiki Kuri or the same thing. Either way they are very tasty. I have been self-saving these for a few years now and these seeds were crossed with male flowers from 4 different parent plants, which I hope is enough to maintain vigour for now. Lovely chestnut-flavoured flesh. It's a repeat from me as I didn't have enough Sucrette seeds to double up the parcel. Apologies.

Oca - again a partial repeat. There are 3 varieties in each paper envelope: red/white, peach and 'black'. The latter is more of a very dark red and came from @rhizowen on twitter. The first 2 varieties came originally from JayB. Red/white makes fewer but larger tubers in my experience, and the peach one is just copious, but often small. There might be a couple of packs with albino tubers in too - they are meant to be red/white but the red appears to have leached out. Not sure if its offspring will stay white or the red will return.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version