Author Topic: Advice on resurrecting an old rhubarb patch  (Read 1510 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Advice on resurrecting an old rhubarb patch
« on: November 15, 2018, 18:52:25 »
I've a rhubarb patch on my allotment that has been there for at least 20 years. Normally I get far more than I can eat from it but the last 3 years it has been pathetic with only a few spindly leaves.
I have to say it has got overgrown with couchgrass which doesn't help. Today I dug out the couchgrass from around it and had a look at it. The crown is about 15 inches across and there were some rotten bits of root on the outside but the main crown looks solid,
Has anyone any advice on resurrecting it?
I know one can split up the crown and replant but some sites say do it in November but others say early spring. Or should I simply give it a good feed and make sure the grass doesn't overwhelm it again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Advice on resurrecting an old rhubarb patch
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 18:57:13 »
A good feed is certainly recommended and with my rhubarb it did the trick.  It has been in the ground since 1990 and produced long and thick sticks.  One year it looked a bit thinner and I gave it a good dose of manure. 

Back to very thick sticks that season.  I would have been prepared to split the crowns and replant, but it was not necessary.   :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 19:55:50 »
Now is a good time to do it! In fact as I am giving up my plot I lifted one of my roots about 2 weeks ago and like yours it has been in the same spot for around twenty years. Unlike yours my two roots were prolific producers hence me fetching one of them home.

When I lifted it there were some rotting sections which I ripped off back to some solid root. As it came apart I found I had two nice pieces each with growing buds so I duly planted them.

Firstly. I dug suitably sized holes and because we have such a dry summer I flooded the base of the holes with water then I lined them with 3"-4" of well rotted manure and placed the roots in place.

Prior to returning the excavated soil I scattered some slow release fertiliser on to it so that it mixed up in the adjacent soil.

Finally  I doused the area with more water in the hope that it will water/ filter the soil  into any voids that may formed as. I backfilled.

So now it is fingers crossed and hoping that I will be harvesting good crops of rhubarb in future years.

I have attached a section of my webpage on rhubarb growing to back up the comments above;

Week 45-10:

Lift four to five year-old crowns when dormant in preparation for division.

Take care when carrying out this task to avoid damaging the thick roots.

Divide the crowns into sections with a sharp spade, each with some healthy roots and at least one strong bud.

Check for signs of hollow crowns (crown rot) disease and discard all infected material.

Replant the divisions with the growing point at, or just below, the soil surface.

Space plants about 750mm(30") apart for small varieties, and up to 1200mm (48") apart for large varieties.

Prior to replanting, cultivate the soil, remove any perennial weeds, and incorporate copious amounts of organic matter.

I hope this info helps you with your problem....Tg

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 23:01:20 »
Well I would suggest taking about half of the crowns out of the ground and leave them lying on the ground to get frosted.  Then replant in spring with plenty of well rotted manure underneath.  You could add BFB  or  growmore whatever is your preferred option.  Then leave them for at least 18 months before stripping stalks.

Bill

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 20:29:45 »
Rhubarb is perfectly happy being moved about in winter. Enrich the new location with a generous dressing of manure and go for it. If the original crown is large it can be divided into two or even three new plants. I've done this numerous times. (I have a tendency to redesign the layout of my plots from time to time.)

If the ground is very wet or waterlogged take care not to bury the crown's  too deep, but otherwise I'd say it is hard to get it wrong. Good luck!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 20:38:10 »
indeed do it nowand as said let the crowns get frosted rhubarb are very hungry so give the plenty of manure and they romp away
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 20:44:53 »
Many thanks for all your advice. I may be able to try all the options as an experiment!
I think I have a second crown near the one I described - if I can locate it under the couch grass!
I will let you know how the experiment goes!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal