Author Topic: Onion Rot resistant sets  (Read 3004 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Onion Rot resistant sets
« on: February 27, 2018, 18:20:55 »
Onion rot has become endemic on our site over the last few years which makes growing onions a bit of a challenge.
Does anyone know varieties of onions (available as sets) that are more resistant to it than others?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Onion Rot resistant sets
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 19:31:55 »
in a word no ive taken to growing my onions in tubs  i have found that planting them later helps a bit but for reliable crops ive turned to the tubs
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 21:57:13 »
I think if you've got white rot ... you've probably got white rot for ever!  I get it much worse on garlic than on onions - and onions grown from seeds tend to be a bit less prone to it than sets.  Short of building a new raised bed with all new soil and/or compost ... I haven't found a complete solution.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 22:19:30 »
I agree with sqeezyjohn the only think I have heard that works is when you harvest a crop remove all the leaves and dig them into where you are going to plant your onions the following year. This is why some growers grow their onions in the same bed every year. Apparently this practice eventually kills of the white rot spores because they do not get a chance to rest or something like that.

I have not tried it but a lad on our plot swears by it. Might be worth a try.....Best of luck!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 22:57:27 »
I wonder if that's the same kind of approach that putting your chimney soot on an onion bed comes from - not only is soot packed with all kinds of nutrients and minerals, but the creosote content which is present in soot presumably has some anti-microbial and anti-fungal action.

I'm normally a committed no-digger - it's worked wonders on some of my plants ... but I am coming to the conclusion after 8 years or so that onions suffer from a lot more ailments in a no-dig regime and that a proper old fashioned digging over will probably help an onion crop.

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 07:53:29 »
I agree with sqeezyjohn the only think I have heard that works is when you harvest a crop remove all the leaves and dig them into where you are going to plant your onions the following year. This is why some growers grow their onions in the same bed every year. Apparently this practice eventually kills of the white rot spores because they do not get a chance to rest or something like that.

I have not tried it but a lad on our plot swears by it. Might be worth a try.....Best of luck!

If all the leaves are removed, then how can the onions be prepared for storage?  Last year, my first full year on my new plot, my onions suffered a total wipe-out from white rot, something I never suffered from on my previous plot.  Acting on advice found here I have treated this year's onion bed with garlic powder and also turned a vacant flower bed at home over to shallots and garlic.  Being virgin soil I hope to avoid the rot on my home patch and will be interested to see the results from the garlic powder treatment.

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:58:51 »
I wonder if that's the same kind of approach that putting your chimney soot on an onion bed comes from - not only is soot packed with all kinds of nutrients and minerals, but the creosote content which is present in soot presumably has some anti-microbial and anti-fungal action.

I'm normally a committed no-digger - it's worked wonders on some of my plants ... but I am coming to the conclusion after 8 years or so that onions suffer from a lot more ailments in a no-dig regime and that a proper old fashioned digging over will probably help an onion crop.

An interesting idea about the soot.  Have you any idea whether it should be soot from coal fires or from wood?  I have a wood burning grate which gives me useful potash but if I can also use the soot from the chimney, then so much the better.  Failing that there is a sweep in the village and he may be able to let me have soot from coal fires.

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 09:03:03 »
Hi Ya, I had a problem with white rot and last year followed some advice given on a post here by Laurieuk a professional gardener of some years. He has written books aswell. I followed this advice and noticed the onion rot was very much lessened. He said to grow onions in the same place each year, I am trying different areas, and once the rot was there treat the ground each year with garlic powder. This tricks the spores into thinking onions are present the fungi grow and die out due to nothing for them to feed on. I will try and find the link. You could go to his membership name and look up his posts and find the advice. Good luck

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:20 »
https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,81117.0.html try this link. If not search 'white rot' June 5 in edible plants section. Cheers

Yahoo it works. :blob7: Never done it before good luck and it's a very good thread
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:28:06 by lezelle »

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 11:43:48 »
I tried the garlic powder method on a known problem patch last year ... it didn't make a blind bit of difference - nearly all the garlic keeled over just like it always does there!

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 12:39:34 »
Hi ya, it worked well for me but I grew onions not garlic. Perhaps when and how you apply it could make a difference. It has to be applied at the right time in summer after a crop. I am using the method again. Give it a go you have nothing to loose. When you lift your onions then is the time to apply it.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 13:38:06 »
after a crop

I agree with lezelle this is the key!

As I mentioned previously: harvest a crop remove all the leaves and dig them into where you are going to plant your onions the following year. This is why some growers grow their onions in the same bed every year. Apparently this practice eventually kills of the white rot spores because they do not get a chance to rest or something like that.

In terms of garlic I guess the fact that it is grown through the winter months might be something to do with why these are not affected as much,if at all!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 14:45:19 »
I try my best to practise crop rotation but I remember my dad always grew his onions in the same spot year after year . He grew onions that regularly won prizes at all the local shows . I never had any problem with white rot so I think that I will follow what he did all those years ago.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 18:17:45 »
I don't have much experience with white rot, but know that a very long rotation is advised.  On badly affected ground the advice is not to grow for 8 years.  However, folks have recommended to dig a trench, line with plastic, fill with bought compost and grow in that.  For a smaller quantity grow in pots.

I haven't heard of a resistant variety in either onion or garlic unfortunately.   :BangHead:

Onion rot has become endemic on our site over the last few years which makes growing onions a bit of a challenge.
Does anyone know varieties of onions (available as sets) that are more resistant to it than others?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 07:42:33 »
I have it on my top plot... but get round it by not growing them there... having the luxury of another plot on the site. I have left the first plot, without onions, for over ten years but when I tried them again they still got it.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 09:54:18 »
Thank you to those who support my method of controlling white rot in onions. I do believe that it only works if you  teat the soil as soon as the previous crop is lifted, while the soil is still warm. I got no crop at all when I first took on my plot, now we are still using last years onions , do not walk  on infected ground and please buy from a reliable place.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal