Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2018  (Read 18928 times)

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2018
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:28 »
Woo hoo. Your lovely fat parcel has arrived safe and sound and I have got your e-mail  :toothy10: Thank you Galina  :toothy10:

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 16:27:13 »
My beans were defrosted a couple of days ago.  Will post on Monday or Tuesday absolute latest so please hang on.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2019, 18:05:31 »
Sorry Earlypea, I should have said sooner. Yours are here safe and sound.

All the parcels are now sorted ready to post tomorrow provided nothing drastic happens.  :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2019, 10:06:51 »
:sunny:  Woo Hoo!  :sunny:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2019, 10:39:07 »
Well folks, they are in the hands of the posties. If you could post on here please when you get them that would be great  :icon_cheers: Thank you all for joining, especially in what was quite a pants growing year. Hope you enjoy your goodies I know I certainly will.

For those that want to know about their goodies then check out https://seedsaverscircle.home.blog/a4a-seed-saver-group-2018/ .

Also don't forget to sign up for this years seed circle here https://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,82221.0.html

Thank you again and happy growing  :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2019, 11:38:25 »
Oh wow! - I have just read the list of goodies.  Will be stalking postie and hope that the packet makes it super fast.

Interesting and important comment about Goldene Königin aka Golden Queen vs Gelbe Königin aka Yellow Queen, Penedesenca.  This actually happens quite a bit.  Bonner Beste and Bonnie Best is another example of two different tomatoes that often get confused. 

And Jan's bean Forellenbohne-Cranberry Lilac etc is a bean where an attempt at anglicising an original name has not helped either.  The Austrian seed seller Reinsaat, which is similar in concept to our Realseeds, call them Forellenbohne.   If you translate that it becomes Trout Bean, but this name is already taken by an entirely different bean.   So it also got anglicised to "Cranberry Lilac".  And then translated back to German as "Cranberry Flieder" (Flieder is lilac in German).  I am glad you listed all the names and permutations, Jan, to help us out with this naming mess.   :wave: 
 https://shop.beetfreunde.de/forellenbohne.html         
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 11:58:19 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2019, 11:14:19 »
:sunny:   Arrived, arrived, arrived!   :sunny:

And everything is looking perfect too as you can see.  What lovely new seeds, tubers, bulbs and cuttings!  Thank you everybody for your generosity.  :icon_cheers:   Thank you Penedesenca for organising this happy seed share day.   :icon_cheers:

Off to put the cuttings into pots. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2019, 13:01:40 »
How did you start your Japanese Wineberries, Earlypea?  Any tips?

Have just looked at Chiltern Seed's website and they appear to need cold stratification. 

"Germination Instructions.  Sow in a cold frame from late summer to late winter. Surface sow onto moist, well-drained seed compost. Just cover seed with a sprinkling of soil or vermiculite. Germination requires at least one month at 3°C. Sowing in autumn allows natural winter cold to offer ideal conditions for germination to occur in spring as the weather warms. Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle to 8cm pots and grow on in the cold frame for their 1st winter. Acclimatise and plant out the following spring."
https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1128D_rubus_phoenicolasius

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2019, 14:13:11 »
My wonderful seeds and started have just arrived. Over the moon! Fantastic timing as I was the other side of the world till midnight yesterday. Amazing variety and quality from quite a small group of us. Thank you very much to all. Looking forward to finding out more and first taking care of the contributions which will benefit from immediate attention. Very exciting!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2019, 14:42:06 »
I’m very excited to receive the Taunton Deane kale cuttings as I’ve been on a waiting-list to buy these for some time. Special thanks, Penedesenca, for those.
Fascinated too by the Caffrey’s Oats. How do you use them, Penedesenca?

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2019, 15:54:48 »
I’m very excited to receive the Taunton Deane kale cuttings as I’ve been on a waiting-list to buy these for some time. Special thanks, Penedesenca, for those.
Fascinated too by the Caffrey’s Oats. How do you use them, Penedesenca?

Just out of curiosity who's waiting list were you on? and you are more than welcome. In regards to the oats last year was the first year I grew them and they only made it as far as flower arrangements. I read somewhere they can be used as companion plants for peas and beans which meant for me that they took up no additional space. One day they might make it to the kitchen along with the wheat but they are fuss free and very tactile.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 17:44:36 »
I applied to Incredible Vegetables who were offering the kale many months ago. The combination of bad weather conditions and more requests than they expected meant they didn't have any available for the time being. Where did you originally get your cuttings from?

Thanks for the explanation about the oats. I'd like to think I might use the grain; presumably it needs to be extracted then crushed. But failing that, of course flower arrangements! Great idea.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 17:55:36 »
My cuttings came from Knightshayes https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/knightshayes/features/the-walled-garden-at-knightshayes The lovely lovely head gardener at the time sent them to me for the cost of p+p + a little as donation.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2019, 13:59:48 »
How did you start your Japanese Wineberries, Earlypea?  Any tips?

To be honest Galina it never occurred to me that they needed any treatment.  I just notice that they do come up from seed around the original so thought I'd stock up before I move.  OK, so they must be getting stratification naturally.

Just to say 'got mine' really.  Thanking you Penedesenca  :sunny: and thank you all seed sharers  :wave:

I will also post info and photos shortly.......

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2019, 15:15:02 »
Thank you Earlypea.  Sow now outside rather than in spring and winter does the necessary.  Good advice.   :wave:

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2019, 16:13:43 »
I had a surprise package today with a lot of goodies.Thanks to everbody who put in there goodies.I am especially glad of the seakale seeds i found in the package.I had them a long time on my wishlist.Also thanks for the tubers and cuttings,oh so illeagal but i love it.Have a nice weekend everybody.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2019, 16:25:31 »
I had a surprise package today with a lot of goodies.Thanks to everbody who put in there goodies.I am especially glad of the seakale seeds i found in the package.I had them a long time on my wishlist.Also thanks for the tubers and cuttings,oh so illeagal but i love it.Have a nice weekend everybody.

Oops, I could have sworn last year I read it wasn't an issue. Nevermind it is done now and there safely. Glad you love it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2019, 14:52:18 »
A quick peak inside the plastic bag shroud at my fig cuttings and this is the fig today.  Oh I do hope this means that there are roots developing too.   :icon_cheers:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2019, 17:31:23 »
A quick peak inside the plastic bag shroud at my fig cuttings and this is the fig today.  Oh I do hope this means that there are roots developing too.   :icon_cheers:

So do I. Mine have never taken that quickly but you have been kinder to yours. So fingers crossed for you.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2019, 09:25:24 »
Sowed the sea kale seeds yesterday.  After consulting Mrs Youtube I found a video that said to gently crush the outer hull and sow only the black seeds on the inside.  We will see how that works out.  Have only sown half my seeds with this method just in case.

I "crushed" the outer shell on a hard surface,  But by placing the seeds between a piece of cardboard (a beer mat) and a tray.  I was hoping with the beer mat there would be sufficient "give" not to crush the actual seeds, just the corky outer shell.  Seems to have worked.  Now hoping for germination.   :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal