Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2018  (Read 18935 times)

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2018
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2018, 13:17:40 »
Just to say that I did get the PM and I have good intentions  :glasses9:  that's not translated into any action yet though.

I'm quite busy this week, hopefully next.

Not a problem. My thinking at the moment is to get parcels back out Jan. to avoid getting stuck/ delayed in christmas stuff and to give Robert and Silverleaf a chance to appear. (Fingers crossed they appear sooner) So no need to panic that is my job  :tongue3:.

THE pigeon is on his way with a lot of goodies:Urfa peper is a turkish peper famous for his dried form but also very nice fresh,looks like a sweet peper,tastes like a sweet peper with a little heat.
Than i have a black broad bean called black russian,looks nice and tastes nice.
Two tomatoes: Bison who is a determinate(dwarf) red tomato and purple smaragd a plum shaped brown with green flames coloured tomato.Tastes sweet for a tomato.
Two beans: Garden of eden is a pole bean who can used as a young green or as a dry bean.
                  Cyrus green who is a dwarf bean used as a green beab,snap bean.I hope that my contribution will encourage diversity.Have a nice weekend.

Ruud, that was one super speedy pigeon. They are here safe and sound and looking fab. Thank you.  :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2018, 17:13:37 »
I will send at short notice when I know that shareout day is not long coming, to keep the live plant material wrapped up for the shortest time possible.  I have just dug out my yacon and hope that I can divide the tops with enough eyes to give everybody a start. 

We now have lettuce Relic, bean George's, a couple of tomatoes, Babington leek, potatoes and (division skills permitting) red yacon. 

:wave: 

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2018, 22:28:04 »
I see i got urfa peper already donated last year :BangHead: :BangHead:.I am getting old forgetting things i have done in the past :tongue3: :tongue3:.Galina red yacon will be a nice challange for next year.By the way that pigeon must be having four wings. :toothy10: :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 12:11:53 »

Tidied up my beans today that were still drying on the windowsill.  Well they should be well dry by now.  :sunny:

It was still not a good bean year, but I have two extra varieties where I have packed up a half portion for the circle.  A yellow "shrimp" type bean Climbing French Bean called Crochu de Savoie from France (my donor Jannes Aalders from the Netherlands) which is good to eat as "green bean".  And the other is "Lazy Housewife".  We had the white seeded one in the circle before and this is the brown seeded one from Heritage Seed Library with the same name, also CFB.  Dual use for eating fresh and for dried beans.  Both are coming into their own as second earlies, to borrow a potato descriptor.  Very useful for harvesting from late August onwards. 
:wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 12:52:19 »
I remember Lazy Housewife being a lovely bean

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 14:10:25 »
Jan your seeds have landed safe and sound.

Three types aren't labelled can I just check which are which please  :happy7:

Trout bean - the round lilac with the black stripes?
Hidatsa Shield Figure - white with the brown capping?
Idelight - the small thin black bean?

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:16 »
Hi, Just to let you know I am setting a deadline of 20th Jan 2019. If there is any genuine reason you can't make this then please let me know.

1. Penedesenca - Received
2. Earlypea
3. Galina
4. Martinburo
5. Robert
6. Ruud - Received
7. Silverleaf
8.JanG - Received

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2018, 13:53:11 »
Has everybody checked in with you, Penedesenca that they are still interested? 

My seeds are all packed into individual envelopes and the plant material will be packed right before I need to send off.  If your posting back to us deadline is the 20th of Jan, then I could send around the 10th?  If that works for you, or else please advise.  :wave:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 14:47:12 »
At the moment this is how it stands. I am still hoping but obviously that hope needs to have a deadline.

1. Penedesenca - Received
2. Earlypea - last posted in response to the circle 25th November
3. Galina - hanging on due to live plant material
4. Martinburo - heard from on the 7th Nov but not since.  (so am a little worried)
5. Robert - MIA
6. Ruud - Received
7. Silverleaf - MIA
8.JanG - Received

This is not a pop at anyone just saying it as it is (with a smile on my face  :happy7:)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2018, 17:34:23 »
Thanks for the update Penedesenca!  :wave:

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2018, 13:55:32 »
All packed and ready to go, but slight CONUNDRUM  :tongue3:

Have re-issued dwarf/semi-climbing French Bean, Ice Crystal Wax (I last distributed in 2010), on account of being so impressed with it the last three years, especially this year in the heat.  Plus, it's such an unusual one in a number of ways, which I will explain later...

However, in 2016/17 I was plagued by the bean weevils.  It was grown on a distant/different part of the plot and I have seen no evidence of infestation anywhere.  Have also left some somewhere warm to see if anything emerged - no signs.

But, I am worried, just in case.  Perhaps people could isolate them from their other beans just in case or chuck them in the bin if they're really worried.  I'll put a warning on the packets.  If they do emerge they nibble through the plastic packets - yuk!

Should I include them or not?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 14:52:53 by earlypea »

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2018, 16:41:11 »
All packed and ready to go, but slight CONUNDRUM  :tongue3:

Have re-issued dwarf/semi-climbing French Bean, Ice Crystal Wax (I last distributed in 2010), on account of being so impressed with it the last three years, especially this year in the heat.  Plus, it's such an unusual one in a number of ways, which I will explain later...

However, in 2016/17 I was plagued by the bean weevils.  It was grown on a distant/different part of the plot and I have seen no evidence of infestation anywhere.  Have also left some somewhere warm to see if anything emerged - no signs.

But, I am worried, just in case.  Perhaps people could isolate them from their other beans just in case or chuck them in the bin if they're really worried.  I'll put a warning on the packets.  If they do emerge they nibble through the plastic packets - yuk!

Oo-er. I am happy to give them a bash and keep an extra special eye on them whilst in my care.

Should I include them or not?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2018, 06:52:23 »
Earlypea, if nothing has emerged then chances are that we should see nothing in the short space of time until we get them. 

In the meantime you can put all the packets into a tighly closed kilner jar or clip top jar, if possible with a bit of rice or a few of the drying gel sachets that come in shoe boxes and handbags.  Then into the freezer for a week and any weavils are no more.  When you take the jar out of the freezer, let it come up to room temperature before you open the jar.  Yes this is a nice bean and a repeat is very welcome. 

If not we can freeze them ourselves or check regularly.  :wave:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:55:01 by galina »

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2018, 10:06:42 »
Can't edit my post. In amongst the quote I said I was happy to give them a bash and will keep an extra eye on them when in my care.  :happy7:

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2018, 16:58:52 »
freeze those suckers.I had to do my compleet collection of beans,put them for more than a week in the fridge.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2018, 12:50:38 »
I can see this unnerves some of us.

I just wanted to get the package off actually, but then I can't get in the post office it's so busy so I will freeze prior to sending.

Will let you know when despatched.

(BTW, I do know about freezing, but since some last year turned to mush I am reticent.  I am not in charge of the freezer!)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2018, 14:45:50 »
If there is a problem with the freezing process Earlypea, then plan B could be to check them last thing before sending.  Penedesenca has already said that she will check them on arrival and before returning to participants.  We are grateful that you have offered to keep an eye.  :angel11:

Please don't worry yourself Earlypea.  All will be well.  Chances of there being any are very small in any case.  :wave:

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2018, 14:06:33 »
No, it's fine - I'll give it a go.  I've got lots saved so it won't matter if it goes wrong again with just small quantities..

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 15:59:49 »
Just a reminder the deadline is the 20th Jan

Unfortunately it is looking like 5 of us this year as I haven't heard from anyone else since I last posted  :sad3:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 17:50:53 »
Have posted mine first class earlier today, should be with you tomorrow with any luck, Penedesenca. 

I had said initially that I would wait until the weekend in a PM, but all looked fine this morning, so I went ahead.  I packed 5 portions of everything, so one spare, should anybody else still participate last minute. 

Looking forward to seed shareout day!  Thank you so much.

:icon_cheers: 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal