Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2018  (Read 18924 times)

penedesenca

• Half Acre
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2018
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 20:15:47 »
Pumpkin, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Would it make any difference if you joined with just one? If anyone is doing well this year they should give themselves a pat on the back. Hope it is nothing worse than a pants gardening year.

Thanks earlypea and Galina. Provisional is fine it is still a little way off. All I have enough of at the moment is seakale and caffreys oats.

1. Penedesenca
2. Plot 18
3. Sparrow
4. Pumpkinlover
5. Markfield Rover
6. Silverleaf
7. Martinburo
8. Robert
9. Ruud
10. Earlypea
11. Galina

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 07:43:12 »
Seeds here are looking a little better now.  (Saying this very quietly), no blight has meant that the tomatoes did much better than average.  And much tomato seed is fermenting on the window sill as we speak.  Including the elusive Kumato which is a 'club tomato' and whose seeds  will never be for sale.  Well we are a club and don't sell to each other. 

By the way, thank you MR for the wonderful display of dahlia flowers, which are so pretty right now. :wave:   

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 17:24:12 »
There really is something about a dahlia!
I haven't managed to save enough seed this season , so I shall call it a day for this year.  Next year on the other hand is going to be fabulous!
The catalogues are piling up nicely.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 14:58:56 »
Hi All,

Just to say I haven't had the best year on the plot and I am very sadly out for this year. Like Markfield Rover, I am sure next year will be superb...:)

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 17:53:31 »
Sorry to say the same, but I'm out as well. I've hardly managed to save seeds at all :(

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 17:36:07 »
But a big thank you to penedesenca.

pumkinlover

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 08:31:45 »
I am in the same situation.  :BangHead:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 09:36:25 »
Boo hoo. Sorry to hear so many of you have had a pants gardening year, but thank you for letting us know. Fingers crossed for next year.

1. Penedesenca
2. Earlypea
3. Galina
4. Martinburo
5. Robert
6. Ruud
7. Silverleaf

Out

8. Plot 18
9. Sparrow
10. Pumpkinlover
11. Markfield Rover

pumkinlover

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 08:13:06 »
Hopefully next year will be better!!! Though the sun was nice :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 17:42:10 »
Don't panic if you are not ready yet, but I know one or two are. I have sent pm's to everyone with my details (with the exception of Silverleaf as their inbox is full  :wave:) If you have not got it let me know.

Feel free to send your seeds to me (enough for 7 please) when you are ready. The sooner they are, in the sooner you get your return parcel. Don't forget to include your address and stamps to cover return postage £3.45 for 1st parcel £2.95 for 2nd.

Any issues just give us a shout.

x

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 07:42:02 »
Thank you Penedesenca for taking on the distribution again for us.  Looking better here for seeds now than it did earlier.  I can also include a couple of small tubers of Jayb's potatoes that she had crossed with the blight resistant variety Kifli to good effect.  They are late, but have rallied when the rains started to a good harvest a few days ago.  I also have Babington Leek bulbils again, which is a repeat, but with new people in the circle maybe of interest.  :wave:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 06:01:58 »
We have a last minute addition. 7 packs is still fine and covers it  :happy7:

1. Penedesenca
2. Earlypea
3. Galina
4. Martinburo
5. Robert
6. Ruud
7. Silverleaf
8.JanG

Out

8. Plot 18
9. Sparrow
10. Pumpkinlover
11. Markfield Rover

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 08:19:21 »
Many thanks to Penedesenca for letting me join the seed circle at this late date.

My addiction is beans, although I grow a lot of other stuff too, and the seeds I have to contribute  this year are all beans. I do hope though to be a bit less narrow in what I successfully save another year.

My list of the beans I should be able to send is:

Trout bean
Smith River Super Speckle
Hidatsa Shield Figure
Tamila
Buxton Buckshot
Idelight

I’ll post photos and a bit about the varieties in the next few days

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 11:35:54 »
I didnot started yet.Shall i make 8 bags of each.Will not be a problem for me.I will try to send my parcel end of these weak,if that will be allright.

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 11:40:20 »
Absolutely fine Ruud. I was being early, I know so no panic.  :happy7:

penedesenca

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 15:19:07 »
I have now set up a site to keep tabs on what we swap. Last years -  https://seedsaverscircle.home.blog/a4a-seed-saver-group-2017/ . If you could please let me have details and pics of what you swap either by message or post that would be great  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:05 »
Gosh you have been busy!  Great new seed circle catalogue pages.   

Sea kale?  Oh yes please.

:sunny:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 23:27:55 »
My seed swap bean notes:
Trout bean (or Forellenbohnen).
A climbing bean, vigorous and prolific; very good as a dried or shelled bean. Originally from Beans and Herbs.
Apparently a newish Austrian variety, also appearing as Cranberry Lilac, Forellenbohnen  (Trout bean), Forelle fliederfarben (Lilac trout) or Cranberry Flieder. So quite some confusion over names

Smith River Super Speckle
A dwarf, productive, very attractive bean. From Russell Crow in US (see https://www.abeancollectorswindow.com). It was originally an outcross in the early 1980s from Jacob’s Cattle but is now very stable

Hidatsa Shield Figure
A fairly productive climbing bean originally from Heritage Seed Library. It can be eaten fresh when very young, grown on for shelling or saved for very attractive dry beans. From the Hidatsa tribe who raised corn, squash, beans, and sunflowers in the Missouri River Valley of North Dakota. Shield Figure beans are described in the book, Buffalo Bird Woman’s Garden. The seed coat pattern is said to resemble a warrior bearing a golden shield.

Tamila

A climbing bean, productive but not too rampant. Attractive roundish pink/red mottled beans.Another one from Russell Crow.He says, ‘Oval 5 inch (12cm) pods contain between 5 to 7 seeds. The variety is grown in western Ukraine. My seed comes from a New York state "Seed Savers Exchange" member.’ Heritage Seed Library also carries this bean and gives more background: Named after our donor's best friend this variety originates in the village of Kostilnyky, western Ukraine, an area where traditional crops continue to be grown on a large scale. The plants do show some variability, with some determined to climb, a normal characteristic of this type of local variety. Produces a heavy crop of pretty pink beans, best used for drying.  - HSL

Buxton Buckshot
An old variety that was grown around Buxton in Maine, US. The beans are small, round and birds’ egg speckled. They’re good for drying especially. It’s semi-climbing growing to about 4ft and benefiting from some support

Idelight
A dwarf bean bred by a University of Idaho plant breeder and released to the public in 1951, and re-released in 2014 to celebrate the university’s 125th anniversary. My seed came from HSL originally. HSL reckon it’s also appears as Gourmet’s Delight, which is fairly commonly available.It’s good as a green bean and is almost stringless.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2018, 16:57:58 »
THE pigeon is on his way with a lot of goodies:Urfa peper is a turkish peper famous for his dried form but also very nice fresh,looks like a sweet peper,tastes like a sweet peper with a little heat.
Than i have a black broad bean called black russian,looks nice and tastes nice.
Two tomatoes: Bison who is a determinate(dwarf) red tomato and purple smaragd a plum shaped brown with green flames coloured tomato.Tastes sweet for a tomato.
Two beans: Garden of eden is a pole bean who can used as a young green or as a dry bean.
                  Cyrus green who is a dwarf bean used as a green beab,snap bean.I hope that my contribution will encourage diversity.Have a nice weekend.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 13:19:27 »
Just to say that I did get the PM and I have good intentions  :glasses9:  that's not translated into any action yet though.

I'm quite busy this week, hopefully next.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal