Author Topic: Agapanthus aggravation  (Read 1813 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Agapanthus aggravation
« on: February 24, 2018, 22:01:03 »
Hi Y'all, I decided to start to thin my huge clumps of Ag. and Zantesdeschia this weekend, just a quick firkle with a fork to see what could be done.  To my surprise the Arums will be easy, but oh my the clump of Ag is going to be totally bomb proof.  I live in Cornwall where they seem to grow in abundance in gardens.  Probably because gardeners know that to try and dig them up starts you on the path to insanity.

I've made a start, digging round and under, but those roots!  Eventually it will get done one way or the other, I may wait till weather warms a bit before I really start in on it. 

Question, Ag has loads and loads of roots which break off easily.  Must I dispose of every one of these?  Will New Ag grow if I tip the spoil somewhere else in the garden?  Lovely as these 20-odd year old Ag are, I can't face another clump elsewhere in the garden, where I'm probably going to have to hire a digger (joke, but, er possibly not!) to remove them in years to come.    :BangHead: :BangHead:
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Agapanthus aggravation
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 00:08:18 »
Agapanthus are propagated by division or seed not by root cuttings so any roots left in the soil without growth buds will not grow.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=60

Your divided clump may take a year or two to settle down to regular flowering but should establish soon enough. :happy7:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:36:48 »
I had some agapanthus in pots that I wanted to divide. I had to destroy the pots to even get them out, and then it took hours with a sharp carving knife to divide them. I'm not sure you could do that in open ground though!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 20:02:18 »
....but I,d  just like to add that every little piece of the Arum Lilies  roots will grow again !   He he he !   :wave:  Debbie  :coffee2:
Trespassers will be composted !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal