Author Topic: grafting apples  (Read 2059 times)

ACE

• Hectare
grafting apples
« on: February 23, 2018, 09:26:02 »
This is completely new to me so I will follow some instructions I found in a very old gardening book. But a few ideas from all of you might be useful. No good googling it as there are too many (experts) just putting anything down. I have a friend who has a Howgate Wonder which is a very fine apple and they still have some stored from last year as they always have a bumper crop. Good cooker but then turns into a nice eater with age. I do not have any room left for another tree so I am going to graft  some of the cuttings onto one already in the orchard and make it produce two varieties, like a family tree. Who has had any success at this?

John85

• Quarter Acre
Re: grafting apples
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:21:22 »
I did many times,also with pears.
What do you want to know

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 10:24:36 »
Best time of year

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 12:21:45 »
I had my first try at grafting apples last spring and will be trying again this spring. The circumstances are different as I was grafting scions onto dwarfing rootstocks. My success rate was low as only one out of the three attempts "struck" and grew on to produce a viable tree. But not daunted I will be trying again this spring. I have 4 M27 rootstocks waiting for warmer weather and to get scions from St Edmund's Russet grafted. I have also purchased one of the grafting tools that cut accurate V shaped edges to allow an accurate and tight graft between stock and scions. I have been practicing on scrap twigs and the fit is excellent provided the root and scion are about the same diameter.

Now I cannot offer much advice on the basis of my very limited experience, but it is clear your challenge is rather different. I think you are attempting what is closer to restoration or top grafting, and the big hurdle will be that the scions will be much thinner than the branches to which they will be grafted.

Going back to "t'internet" you will find a series of excellent "YouTube" videos by a character called Stephen Hayes dealing with grafting in lots of different circumstances and plenty covering cases like yours. Well worth checking out. Also do not forget that whatever results you get this spring, you could also try chip budding in late summer. According to the RHS this is an easier process for beginners.

Now a warning!! It is very addictive. My garden has some decorative crab apples. I plan to cross graft several types to create an even more decorative mix of blossom and different coloured fruits.

I wish you every success!! 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 21:27:58 »
Well, I too was going to make a plug for Stephen Hayes who taught me everything I know about grafting on YouTube. Nothing to add other than that I wish I had room for more trees!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:38:26 »
I did graft a different variety onto an apple tree some years ago with great success mind you I am 86 so used old fashion ways which would be out of date now.  ie used raffia instead of plastic to secure grafts, but if you think I could help feel free to contact  .

John85

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 17:03:14 »
Even if I am much jonger,I still use raffia as it is cheap and easy to find but don't forget to make it wet a few hours before use otherwise it is difficult to handle.
The best moment is when your rootstock or tree start to "wake up" in spring.
But your graft should still be "sleepy".Therefore cut it in winter and bury it shallowly in the coldest place of your garden or in a plastic bag in the fridge if the lady of the house allows it
Try to mach the vigour of your tree and that of your graft so that you have a nice tree later.If not possibe graft a weak variety on the top of your tree so that it receive plenty of sap and a vigorous variety on a side branch.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 22:46:09 »
I have 4 M27 rootstocks waiting for warmer weather and to get scions from St Edmund's Russet grafted. I have also purchased one of the grafting tools that cut accurate V shaped edges to allow an accurate and tight graft between stock and scions.

I mentioned my plans to try grafting last spring. It didn't go too well, only one of the four attempts took.  However the rootstocks were strong and soon developed more strong healthy shoots.

So in summer I tried again. This time chip budding the Scion tops to the rootstock. Now all these grafted buds took well and look very healthy. So the next stage will be next spring when I will prune away the growth above the bud and it should grow away to produce three new apple trees on my chosen M27 rootstock.

But an important question. When in spring? Early spring? Late spring? Do I need to wait for the bud to burst? Or wait until the rootstock buds swell? Does it perhaps depend on temperatures or does it not matter at all? 

Any advice would be most welcome!

Cheers

Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal