Author Topic: First rhubarb  (Read 1781 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
First rhubarb
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:10:29 »
The first few tiny stalks seem to taste the best.  Zapped in microwave with apple juice and serve with a nice plain yoghurt.  Lovely.

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: First rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:51 »
That sounds really lovely :) but I have to refrain from picking mine, as I moved the roots to my new plot this winter *sulk*

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 06:54:29 »
Mine are just pushing through the mulch.  That on my neighbour's plot isn't even doing that yet.

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 14:02:15 »
Just a little behind.  1st few stalks, Timperley Early  on 24th Feb.  Went really well with home made ice cream. 

Have forcers on Timperley Early and Champagne.  One of my favourites - have just put in 3 more varieties.

The cold spell seems to have slowed things down.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 14:55:17 »
Envious.    No forced or fresh rhubarb round here yet.

I bought 3 crowns for this new garden and veg plot last spring but kept them in pots cos of the drought.  Happily, they have survived winter and we have had a year's worth of rain in 2 months so yesterday I planted them out with lots of lovely rotted horse manure.  They each have a few tiny, crinkled leaves but look well so maybe next year I'll get some to eat.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 16:39:22 »
Mine are also biding their time.  I can see pink buds, but no stalks yet.  :wave:

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 20:05:09 »
My Timperley Early and Champagne crowns send up lots of flowering stalks which seems to affect the quantity and quality of leaves they produce. I cut the flower stems off - is this the right thing to do? Should I get rid of them? My other plants (unknown, vigorous variety) which are in the same bed do not send up flower stems at all.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 20:09:53 »
Cutting them off is the usual advice.  And I usually do.  But these flowers are so majestic and pretty that just occasionally I leave one.  Leaving them is said to weaken the plant and stop further leaves.  :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 20:14:56 »
Flowering stems can be a sign that your rhubarb needs lifting and splitting or maybe just a huge dollop of manure next autumn.

When mine did it a few years ago - previous garden - I cut off the flowering stems early and gave them to some florist friends.   Got agreat crop of edble stems and then divided the roots in autumn.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal