Author Topic: Edible flowers  (Read 2188 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Edible flowers
« on: February 12, 2018, 20:50:49 »
While I know there are many edible flowers such as nastertium, courgette, borage and marigold, I wonder how many of you actually eat them and how. Also any other plant parts that most of us throw away like brocolli stalks and leaves.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: Edible flowers
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 21:23:58 »
I am not too adventurous but I do eat wild garlic flowers, chive flowers, and nasturtium petals and the little green base of the flower ( I think it’s the part that becomes the seed ) all of the above in salad.😁
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 22:53:58 »
Day lilies, roots, leaves, flowers, flower buds. Raw, steamed, pickled, which ever way you like. But make sure they are proper Hemerocallis not any other type of lily that somebody gave you as day lily otherwise you will be pushing up the daisies which I think are also edible.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 17:23:00 »
i eat them all summer in salads nasturtiums seeds are great pickled they have a sort of caper flavour violas are great this time of year pot marigolds are nice as thyme flowers rose petals there are  too many  to list its well worth a look at a book from the library just to give you a bigger picture hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:17:03 »
Also any other plant parts that most of us throw away like brocolli stalks and leaves.

We always peel broccoli stalks and cut into 'pennies' then steam alongside the tops.  Other 'waste' products that are very edible are beetroot leaves,  turnip leaves and the green part of leeks (well most of it apart from the very tips).  I think everybody knows about brussel sprout tops, which are like loose cabbages and utterly delicious.  Read last year that carrot tops are very edible too.  Young pea shoots are a long forgotten delicacy and available long before actual peas.  I have cooked and eaten chard roots, which are like a white beetroot, but can have a few fibrous bits.  There must be lots more.  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:53 »
The base part of celery , the best tasting bit, and rosemary flowers are delicious .I follow James Wong on Twitter and every now and then he retweets a picture from out there ( as a warning) of cakes and often granola breakfasts festooned with pretty but highly toxic flowers.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 15:15:18 »
Jekka McVicar has written a very good book on edible flowers.  Probably out of print now but try the library.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal