Author Topic: Brussels Sprouts  (Read 1659 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Brussels Sprouts
« on: February 22, 2018, 14:45:03 »
My remaining sprouts were just sitting in the ground getting bigger and bigger so this morning I got them all up and brought the stalks home. Any ideas for interesting things to do with the massive ones?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Brussels Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 17:22:20 »
I just treat the large ones (if they actually get large!) like cabbage and so fry off some sausage or bacon and then add sliced sprouts and get a little colour on them.  Next I throw in some stock if I have some but water will be fine - just to make sure they are cooked through.  Nice with pork.
Or slice them up and toss them in butter with some added honey and vinegar - maybe throw in some raisins.  Makes a sort of hot crunchy sweet and sour thing..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 21:11:45 »
Not exactly interesting but last year I froze some and I add a bit to vegetable soup. Not like them when frozen as a vegetable.
I hope this topic generates some good ideas- like BN's post above because I have a big crop this year and need a few ideas!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 22:20:11 »
BBC Good Food (run by the magazine, not the Beeb now) has 57 recipes using sprouts - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=Brussels+sprouts
There must be one or two in there that would suit.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal