Author Topic: Different Squash recipes?  (Read 1864 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Different Squash recipes?
« on: February 03, 2018, 14:39:48 »
Ok - I still have 3 large sphagetti squashes and an assortment of about 6 other types still. I have made curry, laksa, soup. I have made a spicy mixture to go in vegetable strudels.

Any recipe ideas that are a bit different? Ideally I would like things I can freeze as we are gettting a bit fed up of squash at the moment.

Also havent really used sphaghetti squash before so any ideas specifically for them, gratefully accepted!

Plot 18

• Acre
  • Plot in Mid-Kent
Re: Different Squash recipes?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 15:05:55 »
Last night I cooked my usual Bolognese mix of tomatoes,veg & mince, and made a layered dish like a lasagne but used sliced squash as the pasta layer. Lovely :) Also very similar to Moussaka, I suppose - squash instead of Aubergine LOL

The only time I grew spaghetti squash I just used it in place of spaghetti in all the usual recipes - the inside easily scrapes out into veg spaghetti after roasting for 45mins or so.
https://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/cooking-tips-techniques/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 15:26:33 »
I like to add a some pureed squash to a chili con carne or similar dishes as it adds a nice depth of flavour.  So i puree a load and freeze in little pots for use later in the year - which reminds me I must go check on the squash in the attic.
Also try a spicy squash chutney - nice!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 15:38:03 »
Lots of recipes for squash on the BBC Good Food website - soups, risottos, casseroles, Thai and Indian curries, dhals, pasties etc.

You can boil spaghetti squash whole after piercing it with a skewer to prevent explosions then simply cut it in half, scoop out teh seeds and shred the flesh with a fork to get the "spaghetti" strands.   Add some butter or olive oil plus seasoning and serve with meat, fish or veggies.   You can also halve, stuff and bake it and lots more - http://www.countryliving.com/food-drinks/g2682/spaghetti-squash-recipes/
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 16:32:20 »
I made the second (squash) recipe here - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/29/anna-jones-recipes-for-root-vegetable-winter-stews - last night with a Black Futsu squash, using celery rather than fennel and adding a chilli. Very simple and easy and lovely and warming. I used it as a side with breaded fish, so half quantities made plenty.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 21:32:02 »
Thanks for all the ideas. I made a lovely ‘Moosewood cookbook mushroom moussaka’ only replacing aubergine with squash. Really good and enjoyed by visiting friends, so have made it again but added spinach to the mushrooms to bulk it out a bit. It will go in the freezer for next visitors!

Still have more squashes so will try other ideas next....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal