Author Topic: Is this a blueberry?  (Read 1261 times)

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
Is this a blueberry?
« on: February 12, 2018, 16:09:32 »

I have a bunch of these bushes on my new allotment growing in a bed infested with soft reeds (which shows it is very moist and acidic)....or is it willow?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 16:12:57 by DrJohnH »

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: Is this a blueberry?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 16:29:42 »
The stems on mine all look a pinky red and the buds are slightly off the stem.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 18:21:05 »
Good photo but still too little to go on.

Can you wait until the buds break? Bear in mind that all commercial blueberries are hybrids of wild species - there are several with different leaf "aspect ratios", but apart from that there are many similarities, so it should be obvious if they are willow.

You might be the proud owner of a native bilberry patch.

Taste of the leaf might be a useful difference.

If you don't want to wait a bit then I think you'd have to go to a supernerd - try NatHist museum or agricultural research stations like East Malling...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

DrJohnH

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 19:31:36 »
I'm going to wait and see what comes up.  I will tidy around them and if they are not blueberries plan B can kick in. 

Regards bilberries etc. we have lots of wimberries here in the High Peak moors.  Always good times picking, though it takes ages to get enough for a decent crumble.  The bushes I have are to big to be native wimberries.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal