Author Topic: Lots of active frogs but no spawn yet do  (Read 2294 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
Lots of active frogs but no spawn yet do
« on: March 28, 2018, 21:14:01 »
Hi this is our first spring in our new house and we are delighted to have lots of frogs and newts in our pond. They are certainly ‘active ‘ to the extent that I worry about the poor frogs stuck between 3 others, but as yet, no spawn. Am I being too impatient, might they all be boys or are thee any other reasons ?

small

• Hectare
Re: Lots of active frogs but no spawn yet do
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 15:50:28 »
I can't help with sexing frogs, but I do know our ditch is heaving with spawn, has been for over a fortnight through all the unseasonable snow and ice (East Midllands). Every year it's a race as to whether the ditch will dry up before they mature, but some must make it for the spawn to appear in exactly the same spot year after year! 

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 14:46:47 »
Yes that’s what I thought- others have all talked about having lots of frogspawn already so wondered why we haven’t got any yet despite lots of frogs!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 15:27:23 »
Down in the Southwest we have tadpoles swimming under the ice. Goodness knows what they are finding to eat, the pond weed and plants have not started growing. We have rain during the day and frost at night, greenhouse overflowing - seasons are just mad!

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 19:03:15 »
YEY! They’ve finally done it- three lots of spawn in the pond. I had to move some as they had laid it on top of a pot, out of water and exactly where the birds go to drink (and eat if they stayed there). So ridiculously pleased - we’ve been looking at the amorous frogs for weeks now and thinking they were never going to get their act together!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal