Author Topic: Soil testing kit  (Read 1728 times)

AlanO

• Not So New ...
Soil testing kit
« on: February 05, 2018, 15:51:51 »
Can anyone recommend a decent soil test kit please?  I've previously used a kit that tests for PH only, but I see others which test Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash as well. There are also the rod style testers which appear to be reusable. Any views please. Thanks.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Soil testing kit
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 16:20:49 »
Can anyone recommend a decent soil test kit please? 

There are also the rod style testers which appear to be reusable.

I have had one of these for more years than I can remember and found it as rubbish simply because the graduations on the meter are so fine and you cant really see any movement if the soil Ph changes I once stuck the rod in a bag of lime and still didn't see it move!

Having said that they might be more accurate now with LED displays!

I had a look on ebay and you are spoiled for choice for both rod and chemical kits see here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/soil-ph-tester

Based on my results with the rod I do not bother testing anymore, and if I did and as a member of the RHS I would probably use them!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-pH/Soil%20pH.htm

Hope this info helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 17:05:09 »
As TeeGee says, rods/probes are a waste of time. Liquid kits that test for NPK as well as pH are "better", but you need to pay attention to how you collect the sample for testing.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:02 »
I would agree with Tee Gee and not bother, I have been a professional gardener for over 60 years and not found a good use for one. We gardeners seem to be an easy target for selling things to.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal