Author Topic: Growing blueberries in containers - looking for top tips  (Read 1670 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Growing blueberries in containers - looking for top tips
« on: February 03, 2018, 21:31:20 »
Would really like to get it right..I know about the soil pH, and the rainwater (although where this is supposed to come from during a dry summer is a mystery), and having more than one type, and netting up...so, when do plants become available to buy, can you get 3-year old plants to be able to pick fruit this year, how often do you feed (there's different info on different sites) and anything else which you think would be helpful.  Many thanks for all the advice.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Growing blueberries in containers - looking for top tips
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 09:43:07 »
I suppose you have to save butt water for your blueberries, and if water is short use tap water for everything else.  I have a friend who has several but I do not think she feeds enough. I was suggesting coffee grounds but she uses instant coffee.  Have you thought about water retaining gel?   She asked someone to water it while she was on holiday and they ate all the fruit although it was not ripe.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:14:07 »
I use rainwater for orchids and epicacti - if it runs out in summer then the freezer can usually provide a couple of pints of demineralised water (also good enough for steam irons) - it's called defrosting, and wringing it out of a clean cloth still leaves it good enough for plants.

If your tap water contains "temporary hardness" (ask your supplier) then boiled water will be softer and less alkaline than tapwater, so making it a habit to empty the kettle into a bottle every time it cools can provide a regular supply of this next-best solution. It's still best used sparingly with epiphytes as any kind of salt deposit is going to concentrate to the point where it's trouble unless it's regularly washed away by rainwater.

Blueberries are terrestrial - they object mainly to alkalinity and they like fertility - so I'd be surprised if they would object to occasional contact with the tiny salt content in boiled water - maybe someone can advise on this?

It also raise the question of whether tap water can be permanently neutralised with something like an appropriate (tiny) quantity of Ferrous Sulphate - any advice here?

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 12:50:35 »
At the risk of being highly controversial and sparking a furious debate but based on personal experience why don't you consider planting them directly in the ground saving you the rainwater/compost/container etc. problem entirely.

The soil on our allotment site is predominately clay, a soil that naturally tends to be on the acid side of neutral if only a little - say ph6.5. It is becoming more recognised by fruit nurseries that while a more acidic environment is optimal blueberries will grow and fruit happily enough with a higher ph.

Organic matter while planting will certainly help and I give the ten plants I have an annual sulphur chip dressing each spring and the blueberries grow and crop well without any sign of chlorosis. Whether the sulphur has any effect I have no idea but it does no harm.

You would obviously have more problems with a chalky soil. :happy7:

y

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 15:00:37 »
one top tip cut the compost 70/30 with sharp sand ericaious compost can get very claggy blueberries hate this the sand give extra drainage they'll love it
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 15:42:42 »
I think that planting directly in soil will depend on your soil.  Since this person is asking about growing in containers, I had assumed that their soil was not suitable.   They will grow well here for a few years but once the roots get going downward they are not happy. 
If your soil is alkaline, I would personally suggest that blackcurrants are easier and actually more have more nutrients.  We have been sold on blueberries because they have problems with growing blackcurrants in the USA and so not know how much better they are.   

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 12:43:27 »
I agree with Digeroo about blackcurrants, though for eating raw I prefer Jostaberries for their lower acidity (unfortunately so do the pigeons).

However they are still not really a substitute for a handful of fresh blueberries - I want both! Blueberries are also more edible-ornamental.

The only 100% fruit substitute I can think of is nectarines for peaches (not vice versa) - and even then - mmm - it's hard to source flat white nectarines at the moment - on the other hand, homegrown Lord Napier nectarines are better than anything (unfortunately my tree died and lack of space is now an issue).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal