Author Topic: Regenerating Christmas cyclamen -  (Read 2289 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Regenerating Christmas cyclamen -
« on: February 03, 2018, 20:03:37 »
Every Christmas we buy a cyclamen and by the end of January it has collapsed and reduced to a bulb. I always try to regenerate them but have never ever succeeded. Is there a magic trick? How do the professionals manage it?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Regenerating Christmas cyclamen -
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 10:33:18 »
They should grow for a long time before collapsing , maybe too much water, but anyway you let them stay dry until August then you can remove top inch or so or re-pot and grow on in a cool temperature. That is what we used to do but there are many different ideas about this. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 16:00:30 »
Personnally I would recommend neglect. Not sure when mine was watered again but it suddenly flowered, and was covered in flowers.  I though it must have been a different plant but my husband said he had not bought one it was the one from last year.   I was amazed.   Though just after it collapsed, I fed it with the hope with would perk up, but actually it was worse.  But the roots must have taken in the goodness.
I also have baby cyclamen flowering in the grass, not sure where they came from.  I think I will have to move them.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 17:15:30 »
I agree with Laurie, as a matter of fact I removed the faded/dead leaves from my plants yesterday .

Once I did that I put them in my coldframe to keep the worst of the water off them as it wetness not the cold that has the potential to kill them off  as they are quite hardy!

When the weather picks up I will put them in a sheltered spot to fend for themselves then in the autumn I will re-pot them into new gritty compost and leave them to do their thing next winter!

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 18:27:45 »
Thanks for the advice. I will leave it in our garage (where I store my dahlia tubers)  then put it outside after the risk of frost has past and see what happens!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 13:38:14 »
i left mine in the pot all year forgot about them  they have been outside all year dry all summer wet all winter they are in full bloom now  best ever so next year will do the same put the pots on a wire rack outside and leave them works for me
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 14:17:31 »
took this picture today of the little beauties
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 10:47:52 »
I think we are getting mixed up with the small almost hardy cyclamen and the non-hardy large Christmas flowering ones.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal