Author Topic: shape of things to come?  (Read 1974 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
shape of things to come?
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:01:43 »
the last 3 years ive ordered the potatoes in bags offer from either grow your own or gardeners world mag basically you get charlotte spuds 8ltr bags and 5 pkts of lucky dip seeds and something else which changes yearly this year you only got 3 tubers 3 bags still 5pkts of seed and some incredibloom other years ive have received 5 tubers 5 bags looks like t&m are learning from supermarkets same price just smaller amounts i know its only £5.60 but that is 2kilo of charlotte that i will not be enjoying with my summer salads this year shame on you T&M
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: shape of things to come?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 12:39:37 »
If you get a wiggle on you may still be able to buy loose charlotte at wilkos at less than £3 a bag.  Sadly the size of said bag is a lot smaller than previous years. Take something with you to separate your mix and match spuds if you want other varieties.  I use them nets that fruit come in.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 20:13:10 »
It's a bit like the chocolate bars. They reduce the weight but keep the price the same.
Actually I like to buy the seed potatoes loose. That's purely because I like to keep the same variety to a single row.I know exactly how many I need for a row and just get that number.
With the bags you can get any number of spuds per bag. The trouble is we plant by per spud not per weight of spuds. The number in say a 5kg bag can vary quite a bit. Plus with picking them individually you can select the best and avoid any manky ones!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:59:48 »
In the past I always bought my potatoes from the Allotment Association but I seemed to get too many that did not grow or just died off despite loads of farmyard manure and potato fertiliser. Last year I saved some of my own seeds and used a local garden centre for the rest. Result best year that I have ever had I still have 4 bags in the garage. I have saved more of my own this year especially Manitou which I cannot get any where and which my wife thinks are the best late cooking potato. I will set 3 rows of Lady Christi earlies one row of Maxine, two rows of Harmony and two rows of Manitou and the lot will have cost me £18 which is far cheaper than buying all new stock each year and I can choose my own seed. The few that I have bought I have had to dispose of some of the seed potatoes because of faults.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:30 »
I think they call it shrinkflation.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 10:28:25 »
If you are going to save your own seed you need to e very carful. Seed potatoes are grown in areas were because of low temperature there is very little aphid so no virus spread. I have saved my own but you need to select the plants during the growing season to make sure good plants , then pick out seed as you lift to avoid just picking small potatoes that may have come from poor plants. Some allotment group will not allow own seed potatoes to be grown.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:35:40 »
Actually I like to buy the seed potatoes loose. That's purely because I like to keep the same variety to a single row.I know exactly how many I need for a row and just get that number.

Where do you get your seed spuds from please, George.  Wilkos not has kestrels for last two years loose

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 15:31:10 »
I live in Southwest Birmingham so I go "over the border" to North Worcestershire and get my loose spuds from:
Burcot Garden Centre http://burcotgardencentre.co.uk/
or from
Rowberries Garden Centre near Chaddesley Corbett https://www.rowberrys-nursery.co.uk/

They both do a good range though I don't know if they stock Kestrel. I haven't grown it for years.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 20:24:27 »
Lottie Lou I've been to Webb's Garden Centre near Droitwich today and they are now offering loose potatoes at 1.99 for 15 tubers and Kestrel is for sale!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 09:41:53 »
Thank you George.  Unfortunately do not drive nor does OH due to alzheimers.  Will have to sort out new adventure on how to get to these GCs by public transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal