Author Topic: ?using out of date tinned coconut milk  (Read 2122 times)

gwynleg

• Hectare
?using out of date tinned coconut milk
« on: February 01, 2018, 21:50:22 »
I have 2 out of date tins and wondered if it would be safe to use them? I presume they won’t have bacteria but the milk might have deteriorated in taste? Any knowledge out there please?

lezelle

• Acre
Re: ?using out of date tinned coconut milk
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:18:27 »
Hi Ya, I think it depends on how far out of date it is and how it has been stored. I know the use by date is the one to take notice of but the best before date means you can still use it. There is a display date which you ignore I believe as it is for the shop There is a forth date but it escapes me now. The main two dates are the first ones. Being in a tin should extend the life I would of thought. There was a thing on the radio not long back and some said trust your nose and instinct and if unsure bin it. Hope that throws some light on your question.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 21:57:35 »
I used an out of date tin of coconut milk a couple of days ago and we haven't died yet! and it was out by a lot 2016

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:11 »
Good to hear it!
Presently working our way through the OOD food.
Looking forward to seeing the last of the 2012 pasta sheets then I am a reformed character !
Gwynleg.... keep posting!

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 14:33:39 »
Hi - yes I am trying to work my way through OOD food too. I did use the coconut milk (also a 2016 tin!) with ODD laksa paste. Both smelt and tasted ok and I didnt have any bad effects from the tastes I had - but have frozen the batch of squash laksa so didnt have much. If you dont hear from me for a while.....

Also It seems to be the law that if you throw something away you will immediately find a brilliant recipe that needs that very store ingredient....

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 18:33:30 »
In my previous life within the food industry, I would offer the following opinion. The date on the label is advisory. The contents of cans and jars are cooked to the point of pasteurization at least. So long as the process was complete, they remain sealed and under negative pressure until opened.Hence the slight 'hiss ' when opened, cans expand slightly and jars relax their seal. A visible effect. Damaged, dented tins, rusted inner tin surfaces, jars without that 'vacuum ' effect are suspect and, personally, would be discarded. The nutritional value, vitamins and flavours may well have been compromised or destroyed during the heat process of canning. Hence, not like fresh.
Greater danger from part -consumed foods left too long, possibly cross-contaminated by proximity to raw foods, vegetables, uncooked meats and thumb prints on plates,etc. Thorough reheating reduces most such risk. Hence the ability of 'fast food' outlets to recook prepared ingredients, in super hot woks etc, without major incident. If not done effectively, then epidemics!!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 19:08:59 »
Thanks Ancellsfarmer, yes I wouldn’t use damaged tins because of the concern that the inside is damaged. I am prepared to put up with a lessening flavour/nutritional value if using up stuff. However I am now on a New Years resolution! I have made lists of all freezer and store cupboard stuff with dates and put it on our cork board. It really helps in planning and in using stuff we had forgotten about before we buy new stuff. Of course its only good if we remember to mark things off and add things when purchased......!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal