Author Topic: new to me  (Read 3649 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
new to me
« on: February 01, 2018, 13:09:47 »
construction started today of a 12ftx12ft new to me greenhouse got the base down and level today so next week should have a try at the rest weather permitting
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: new to me
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 19:26:36 »
I have never seen a square greenhouse before usually they are rectangular.

How do you plan to lay out the beds?

If you have say; the traditional 2ft wide path up the middle then by my calculations your beds will be 5ft wide, which to me seems to be rather wide.

My thoughts are to grow tall subjects near the glass and low growing plants in front of these, or have two paths then have a bed up the middle of the greenhouse and two adjacent to the glass!

What are your thoughts?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 20:15:01 »
indeed its a strange configuration i was thinking on the  three path next year as at the moment I've placed the greenhouse over last years pumpkin bed theres  4 tonne of manure used last season so the beds are a little heaped up in the background of the pic you can see the remnant's of last years poly tunnel ive reused some of it to make my peach trees cover the rest i will use to make paths on some plots im splitting into 3rds  anyway going to try melons in the new greenhouse and some more sweetpeppers  as we eat vast amounts of these te greenhouse has 4 roof openers and 4 louver vents and nice wide double doors should all be completed by the end of feb the carrots are finding it a little drafty after i dismantled the tunnel so will be using them quick as i can

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:10:19 »
Could be you need the Cross of Lorraine?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 14:13:39 »
sides and centre beam in just doors and roof to go if weather ok should complete the frame tomorrow and glazed by the end of the month

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 18:21:17 »
roof all done wont be back to the plot until monday then its one side a day then the rest should take one long day

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 14:59:47 »
complete all done can get back to gardening now this years project is finished!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 17:19:41 »
Well done ! it look great!

Have you decided what bed arrangement you are going to have?

I moved an 8 x 6 up to my garden at home now that I have got rid of one of my plots!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 18:03:20 »
I'm going for 3 paths  so i have 4 beds  paths will be around 18"  makes 4 beds just short of 2ft wide each the two middle beds  have  the advantage of being able to harvest both sides of the beds and for ease of tying sweet pepper plants to canes to keep them tidy the auto vents are working well just have to fine tune them to open at a higher temperature than they are set at the mo im justin the process  of dismantling my 8x6 greenhouse at home  as i have 4 at the allotment just waiting for my mate to come and get it  changing all my garden around next year so getting shot of two sheds said greenhouse and a two storey play house.  yours looks good my old mate soon be spring and we can play out late

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 10:53:21 »
the two middle beds  have  the advantage of being able to harvest both sides of the beds and for ease of tying sweet pepper plants to canes to keep them tidy

I would have done it a bit differently I would have had only 2 paths!

Imagine this:-  2ft wide beds at the sides and a 5ft bed in the middle this gives you more growing space and you will still get to either side of the bed to tie up etc.

See the picture below that is a five foot wide bed full of sweet peppers see how you can get around it and the extra row of plants where you are suggesting to put a path.

Then for annual rotation you could put your plants like the second picture  i.e climbing plants up the side of the bed and smaller plants between, alternatively put tall plants in the middle and small plants up the sides.

I have visions of you damaging plants as you push your way through what will be a veritable jungle if you do as you are suggesting.

I hope you don't consider my comments as 'interference' but I once did what you are suggesting (sadly I have no photos to show you) and lets just say " I had problems" not least ventilation.  Glad to see that you have already considered that problem.

There is also the consideration of light particularly if you are growing tall plants e.g tomatoes what I found smaller plants e.g. peppers become leggy and because of limited air circulation they often succumbed to botrytis.

However at the end of the day the choice is yours so I wish you every success choose which way you go!....Tg

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:54:55 by Tee Gee »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 13:42:57 »
the two middle beds  have  the advantage of being able to harvest both sides of the beds and for ease of tying sweet pepper plants to canes to keep them tidy

I would have done it a bit differently I would have had only 2 paths!

Imagine this:-  2ft wide beds at the sides and a 5ft bed in the middle this gives you more growing space and you will still get to either side of the bed to tie up etc.

See the picture below that is a five foot wide bed full of sweet peppers see how you can get around it and the extra row of plants where you are suggesting to put a path.

Then for annual rotation you could put your plants like the second picture  i.e climbing plants up the side of the bed and smaller plants between, alternatively put tall plants in the middle and small plants up the sides.

I have visions of you damaging plants as you push your way through what will be a veritable jungle if you do as you are suggesting.

I hope you don't consider my comments as 'interference' but I once did what you are suggesting (sadly I have no photos to show you) and lets just say " I had problems" not least ventilation.  Glad to see that you have already considered that problem.

There is also the consideration of light particularly if you are growing tall plants e.g tomatoes what I found smaller plants e.g. peppers become leggy and because of limited air circulation they often succumbed to botrytis.

However at the end of the day the choice is yours so I wish you every success choose which way you go!....Tg

tg id never see your advice as  interfering your comments are always welcome as i said will keep two beds this year then work out whats the best next season thanks again for your input its always a great new angle to think about cheers

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:35:38 »
I have all sorts of weird width beds, but I agree that 5 foot is the maximum, and for those I try to keep the centreline clear so I can put a fork in there to take the pain out of stretching 21/2 feet from where my toes are...

A plank down the middle is OK for stuff like lettuces, but if you try it with peppers you'll find you kick shoots off them trying to get your feet to it.

For the same reason 2ft beds are absolute max at the sides, to stop you tipping headfirst through the glass - but if you attach a handrail (just a roofing batten) across the frame behind the bed, you will find that 21/2 feet becomes easy and comfortable.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal