Author Topic: Ornamental tree advice  (Read 1902 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Ornamental tree advice
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:12 »
I'm moving my compost area so will have quite a large space where I want to plant a decent sized tree. I'm not after a fruit tree but a large ornamental tree that will provide shade over the chicken run (eventually). I want something that will really stand out, give the birds a bit of autumn food, and roosting as well as shading part of the chicken run. I'm not too bothered if it's slow growing and it will have plenty of space around it. My first thought was something like  Fagus sylvatica Pendula - weeping beech - but that may be a tad too big and slow. Any other suggestions?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Ornamental tree advice
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 13:15:10 »
Just a thought. Are you talking about your allotment, or your garden?

My allotment field will no longer allow the planting of any trees or fruit trees that are not on a dwarfing or semi dwarfing rootstock.  Large trees, sooner or later, will impact neighbouring plots, by the amount of shade they cast or because root systems spread out and suck up huge amounts of moisture. No problem in your own garden but on your allotment plot you should check this is acceptable before going ahead.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 14:40:59 »
I would think a crab apple tree would be good - blossom for insects and pretties then colourful fruit which the hens can eat when it drops and you get the fresh spring foliage and autumn colour too.  Plenty of choice available.
Obxx - Vendée France

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 15:27:32 »
Just a thought. Are you talking about your allotment, or your garden?
It's both really - the land is mine and surrounded by wheat fields.

Crab apple is an interesting suggestion and not something I'd considered.

Cheers!
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 17:34:20 »
What about an amelanchier, it may not be big enough for what you want but it's a lovely tree.  I've got one in my shrub border and another in a corner of my veg plot, they don't cause any trouble and there's something for every season.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 20:43:38 »
Or a native British tree for the environment - Blackthorn, Prunus spinosa, Crab apple, Malus sylvestris, Elder, Sambucus nigra, Goat willow, Salix caprea,
 Hawthorn, Crataegus monogyna. Hazel, Corylus avellana, Holly, Ilex aquilinum. Rowan, Sorbus aucuparia. Silver birch, Betula pendula all brilliant for wildlife,
Nora
Norf London

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 09:47:51 »
Thanks again for the suggestions, the amelanchier looks really nice and maybe I can find a spot for it elsewhere as it may be a tad smaller than what I has envisioned for this spot. Silver Birch was on my short list - thanks

Andy

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal