Author Topic: OH's first day on a new plot  (Read 4338 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
OH's first day on a new plot
« on: January 28, 2018, 19:28:13 »
So my Oh took on a plot at a lovely site in South London.  The most amazing thing is that she was only on a list for 6-7 months and we only applied with a vague hope of getting on.  Most plots have ten year lists.
Well the site is lovely.  It has toilets which are clean, a communal skip, a site hut/shop, car access to the plot, strimmers and mowers to rent cheaply, a good hard working committee, friendly locals, communal bonfire, BBQ/Hard standing area and lots of other little bits and bobs.  The best thing is that it has soil, real proper soil that is a delight to dig and weed.  I have been on clay for ten years and when I say clay I mean clay - not a clay soil - just solid clay as we are on a railway cutting. While i love my plot it is d**n hard work and every bag of manure etc has to be barrowed in, down the steps and along to my plot - on this one we can just drive up and throw it out the boot.
Lots of hard work ahead for OH but we already cleared a bed and I reckon we'll be totally cleared for the season ahead.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

picman

• Acre
Re: OH's first day on a new plot
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 21:14:20 »
Good to see your enthusiasm, I would respectfully suggest a couple of things  , don't go mad , do a bit , leave a bit is my motto, what you cannot dig now cover with something dark ( not carpet ) , Keep a planting / weather / where on plot  diary. ask other plotters what does well, varieties etc .. happy plotting.   

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 10:10:08 »
Cheers picman.  Easy to overdo it esp at this time of year when we have been laid up over winter.  Feel surprisingly ok after a good session yesterday and the soil is so nice that the grass and weeds pull out really easily.  There is a nasty section down one end which will require more work so that may get covered in cardboard for a month or so..

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 10:34:06 »
Will you keep your plot then Nick?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 10:41:09 »
Yes for the time being at least.  I have real trouble with growing some stuff on mine - carrots, onions, sweede, celariac so We will switch that over to the new plot and keep on with the stuff that grows well on mine. I was amazed to see on the new plot yesterday sweedes as big as my head.  I have never seen them so big!
Plus it gives us the chance to have a go at more fruit!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 13:54:15 »
Progress so far..

Had a few days off work so we have been able to get to grips with some edging and more clearing.  Water butt installed and drainpipes sorted.  Raspberries bought and area prepped. Pallet based compost area built.  Lots more to do but I feel invigorated at having a nice clean start (even though it is my wife's!)

As we took it on

Yesterday

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 15:54:06 »
Looking Good!

Well done you!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 18:53:11 »
Wow- you've made a big difference there! Well done both of you!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal